Liquid Cooling

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hi Everyone,
I just thought i would start a thread about liquid cooling. Is it neccessary? Does it really help your pc? All i know is that my friend paid a wopping 230 dollars on his computers liquid cooling system and he has the same problems i do, and i don't have liquid cooling just 16 fans for 1 dollar each strategically positioned. So what he stays at 20 degrees celsius while i hover at around 32, big whoop. Please weigh in your opinion in this thread.
Thanks so much,
Jack

I have liquid cooling, and I paid something around then when I built it. Is it worth it? Hell yeah it is.... I dont have a really aggressive setup by anymeans.. but its quiet and keeps my system nice and cool.

For example... My ambient room temp atm is 80f (~27c) and my cpu is running at 92f (33c) and its overclocked about 250mhz. Its the 130nm core too, so it runs a tad hotter than the 90nm counterparts.

i think i see it like most of the public does..... as of right now, i myself find it too risky (though i'm probably only saying that right now since i don't really have any income). i'm sure if i had the money to spend on it, i'd probably get liquid cooling for my system, or for a new system i build. right now my CPU doesn't really hit 40C that often.

ElementalDragon said:
i think i see it like most of the public does..... as of right now, i myself find it too risky (though i'm probably only saying that right now since i don't really have any income). i'm sure if i had the money to spend on it, i'd probably get liquid cooling for my system, or for a new system i build. right now my CPU doesn't really hit 40C that often.
Yah, the money really isnt an issue with me, its really just whether or not its useful, my computer has really no space in the case, i doubt i could fit a liquid cooling system in there right now, anyways im still out on this one...
I guess its useful but i keep getting throw by this, i have an asus mother board which came with asus probe, which has the lowest threshold for a cpu being at like 53 degrees celsius, so...
The only time my temp gets above 40 is when my room is hot and im playing a game like cod2 of css.
-Thanks a lot,
Keep up the posting,
Jack

Liquid cooling is only truly neccessary if you plan to OC your CPU and video processor, and leave htem that way. The extra heat generated is immense...
Liquid cooling does allow for significant overclock even on sub-standard compnonents which normally would not be able to handle the heat....

Check out www.overclockers.com

I think its worth the money, my next system I am thinking of finally doing it!

Can anyone tell me what the good brand for cooling system is coz I'm gonna buy one but dunno which cooling system is better!

Go to New Egg or ZipZoomFly and just enter Liquid cooling, it usually comes up with some good expensive but good ones, i'd say that anything over 150 bucks is a good system, although im not sure about ones less than that...
I think CoolerMaster makes them...?
-Jack

newegg does not really have a great selection of parts for h20 cooling, your best bet would be to go to either:

www.xodide.com
www.pcmods.com
www.crazypc.com

They all have great selctions. You can either build a cooling setup from components (which is the best solution) or you can just buy a Kit. Most people when first starting out just buy a kit.. which is recommened. Just keep in mind you want to get a kit with at least 3/8 ID tubing and be sure the radiator they give you is large enough to handle the heat load.

What about Zipzoomfly?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010808

Im not sure which of those if any is good but at least its zipzoomfly which has free shipping rather than the Newegg rip off shipping...
I built my entire computer from Newegg and Zipzoomfly and i was very happy with the prices, I found Newegg has better prices and Zipzoom has free shipping, unfortunately i had to buy my case from newegg:( like 30 dollars to ship that alone...
-Jack

Their selection appears very similar to newegg's, they have a lot of kit accessories and replacement parts. This is fine if you want to buy a kit system, but if you are after individual parts like radiators, pumps, reservoirs and tubing you are better off going to one the sites I listed.

Aprox said:
Their selection appears very similar to newegg's, they have a lot of kit accessories and replacement parts. This is fine if you want to buy a kit system, but if you are after individual parts like radiators, pumps, reservoirs and tubing you are better off going to one the sites I listed.

Yah but in response to Duysibo i think a kit is best, it doesn't look like he would be an experienced cooling guy and a kit is probably the best thing for him...
-jack

Not worth installing unless you have a CPU and GPU cooler and that gets too complicated for me, especially risking damage to a $300+ video card.

Besides you still need a case fan to get the heat out of the liquid and a fan in the power supply and a front case fan to move some air around the HD's.

It would be a fun project except that the colored coolants they use now would not look good on my beige carpeting.

Or to quote a mechanic I work with
"The only thing you know for sure about a liquid system is that if there is no leakage someone forgot to fill it."

Thanks for your words of wisdom...
Anyways im with you on that stanc, im fine with a 33 degree computer its not gonna hurt any of the goods...
-Jack

get phase change =) that is the way to go -40c p4 3.2ghz clocked at 5.04ghz by maximum pc under full load stayed steady at 0c

Phase change is way to expensive. And Leejend, if you use the right coolant there is very little chance to messing up components. The chemicals you use are not conductive and if you set up everything correctly then there is very little chance that it will leak.

Aprox
I'm not concerned about the coolant damaging the system. The carpeting is another matter.

My only concern on the PC is the amount of effort and risk to fit a liquid cooler on an expensive graphics card. Shudders in fear.

Hmmm...
Your probably the only person more worried about their carpet than their machine....
LOL
-Jack

I understand your worries Leejend, but if you are competent with tools and do the homework on what you are doing, you really don't have much to worry about. As long as you test everything before putting it in your computer (or in your case in your house :p ) you should be ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back