linux

dabomb

OSNN Senior Addict
i have downloaded this in the past, got it to install properly and then when it came up i pressed xstart or whatever and nothing worked, can someone tell me how to do it etc ....

Umm kinda vague statement (more specifics, what distro?), if you want to get started choose a distro, and/or go to www.linuxnewbie.org and post your questions.

You need to previously configre the Xfree86 server for it to simply work from the startx command, we'd need to know what distribution you are using tho, as some do this for you during the installation procedure and others need you to do it from a term screen post-install.

i havent really a clue about linux, i am willing to download the best distros for a linux newbie and try the new operating system out, can anyone give me a run through of how i will get it up and running please.....

i need help with the xstart thing aswel cus it wouldnt work last time i tried, also i may want to install linux along side my xp installation

Download mandrake, slap in the cd, reboot your machine, its virtually done for you, i found it just as easy as a windows install

i did that last time, it install and when i typed in startx or xstart it would bring up loads of crap that i didnt understand at all, then i had to re - install xp so i could get back on the net to ask questions about it again, any advice?

What you on about re-install XP?!?!

Surely you dual-booted ?

ALWAYS Dual boot when learning linux.
Or install linux onto a seperate drive, that way all you have to do is reboot and you can get back into windows

on mandrake when i came to install i couldnt understand how to duel boot or how to partition the hard drive so it would make a seperate one for the linux installation

Mandrake Can not partition a pre-existing windows partition for you, you either have to install Windows initially using less than 100% of your Hard Disk space, or use a tool such as Partition Magic to resize the existing partition

You really should read the FAQ or install instructionts for the specific distro before trying it. they're normally on the root of the CD in a file named "README" (no extension)
your best option is to pre-resize your windows partition before trying to install linux using Partition magic.
Also you're going to need a VERY new version of Linux to support your GeForce4.

so if i partitioned my hard drive to say 60 gig windows and 40 gig linux, would the linux installation mess with my windows installation?

The linux install does not care about your windows partition unless you tell it to reformat that partition. Otherwise it will not touch it.

You could also try knoppix

quote from there homepage:
KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

I've used it and it is great to get yourself a little bit more familiar with linux. At the end you will be comfortable enough with linux to have it installed :)

if you defragment first (and you are using FAT32) there should be no problem if you use partition magic...

Go and read the information specific to the distro you wish to use!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back