Linux + XP

S

Spider

hey guys!
does anyone know of a good online guide to install Red Hat linux on a machine already having XP Pro?
Thx

Make CDs from the ISO images that you download from Red Hat (or buy them). The first one is a boot cd that will install Linux and make you a bootloader so that both OSs are available. There will also be a guide on how to uninstall it later if you want.

I installed 3 separate distros to try them out and didn't have a single problem with my XP install.

After u do that i would get System Commander it starts when u boot up and u can choose to boot xp or linux or both.

oh, and install Xp first if you want to use redhat's boot loader thingy.....

Originally posted by CZAR
for the love of god do not install LILO or GRUB, they are more trouble than they are worth,just make a 3.5 bootdisk and pop it in when you want to get to your 1337 linux desktop

go to www.linuxnewbie.org for help if you screw up

I agree Do NOT install Lilo!! If you do it may not pick up on your XP install and then you have to modify the LILO:( and if your new to linux that will be a pain in the ass. Just put the boot files on a floppy then when you want Linux you just boot off the floppy.

how do i defrag if i have linux and windows. Arent they different different formats?

You do it in its respective OS. Defrag NTFS and Fat32 in XP via Disk Management, defrag Linux with fsck in Linux

JJB

Originally posted by CZAR
for the love of god do not install LILO or GRUB, they are more trouble than they are worth,just make a 3.5 bootdisk and pop it in when you want to get to your 1337 linux desktop

go to www.linuxnewbie.org for help if you screw up

which image is that and where is it located for the bootdisk? thanks

i cant seem to make another partition for linux because i already have 1 partition that takes up both my hard drive because i RAIDed them? Any ideas?

you guys must have some serious issues...

LILO and GRUB have never given me a problem... i prefer LILO over GRUB though

Its all whether you undersand the installation process...

How hard can it possibly be to type fixmbr when you insert the xp cd?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back