linux stop holding our kids back

This is really funny, but this goes back to piracy pogroms by Microsoft. Now people don't believe that there can actually be a free OS.

What is really funny is that between Microsoft and Apple, these two pump huge amounts into the technology of education.

:D Only because the kids are usually more savvy than most teachers.

This is really funny, but this goes back to piracy pogroms by Microsoft. Now people don't believe that there can actually be a free OS.

What is really funny is that between Microsoft and Apple, these two pump huge amounts into the technology of education.

Yeah, but for what it is worth, Apple uses a lot of open source software in their Mac OS X product. They don't hide it, they don't make it illegal to run other software on top of the Mac hardware. They just don't allow Mac OS X to run on beige machines.

I don't think they are creating the mindset that all software has to be paid for, they are not pushing out updates that disable machines because it is pirated. That is a world that Microsoft has created for themselves, and people blindly follow them like sheep.

Personally I agree with this statement "putting linux on these machines is holding our kids back"

Yeah, but for what it is worth, Apple uses a lot of open source software in their Mac OS X product. They don't hide it, they don't make it illegal to run other software on top of the Mac hardware. They just don't allow Mac OS X to run on beige machines.

I don't think they are creating the mindset that all software has to be paid for, they are not pushing out updates that disable machines because it is pirated. That is a world that Microsoft has created for themselves, and people blindly follow them like sheep.

So how much is the the Leopard or Tiger version? At least with MS you can say they get the updates for free. This really isn't a problem for me, but it becomes one, when people insist they have to have the next upgrade even,if their machine is stable.

Same thing, other side of the coin. A FOSS is a free and open Source solution, something that isn't paid for, even if they use parts of Open Source, you still have to have put down the initial investment for their machine. As far as I know MS doesn't disallow other OS on it's machines either.

Personally I agree with this statement "putting linux on these machines is holding our kids back"
I agree with this as well, but this is mainly because I haven't had a good experience with Linux. Although it may seem easy to use it still seems complicated to download programs, and not many programs are supported on it. I would also find it easier teaching people to use Windows as opposed to Linux.

Now, I am an advocate of Mozilla/FF to all my buds. My kids have been weaned off IE and dont use it at all. I use it @ work & certain proggies that won't run in FF via home. Other than that, I'd rip it completely outa my systems. Unfortunately, it's lil tentacles are all over the place & nearly destroyed my system last time I tried that...I'm biding my time....

As far as I know MS doesn't disallow other OS on it's machines either.

The nature of the beast is such that it doesn't care to share. If I could run everything I need to run without ever touching a single bit of MS software Id be a most blissed geek...

I would also find it easier teaching people to use Windows as opposed to Linux.

Yup. Big, clunky, *easy*. Does most (in some cases all) the thinking for you...
Not that I mind something else thinking for me, on occasions when my own thoughts are just..scattered (ooo something shiny..)
But being locked into a restricted parameter -even by a *majority*- eventually spawns rebellion....
Understand..I haven't the foggiest how to use Linux. I'd love to learn. I'd love for my kids to learn. Can't tell you how many times I run into a software error @ work and all I can do snarl at it and wish I could take it apart like I've done with computers to figure out where the problem is & fix it to my liking.
You do that w/MS & ur violating....stuff.
Just my .02
Keep the change :smoker:

So how much is the the Leopard or Tiger version? At least with MS you can say they get the updates for free. This really isn't a problem for me, but it becomes one, when people insist they have to have the next upgrade even,if their machine is stable.

The Tiger and Leopard are like Windows XP and Windows Vista. They're separate versions of the OS, all of the point releases (like service packs) for them are free.

Buying the latest version of Mac OSX typically costs £85, or £120 for a family pack covering 5 separate machines. Contrast this to a Windows Upgrade pack at £100+.

I normally get the Family pack now which covers mums iMac, dads MacBook, sisters MacBook, my MacBook and my MacBook Pro. So thats 4 people that £120 is covering, thats basically £30 per person or £24 per machine.

Regarding my comment about Linux holding out children back, thats only Linux. Other perfectly suitable Open Source OS's exist, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris to name but two. I'd never wish Windows on anybody. Linux is like the Windows of the Open Source OS world*.

* ok, I've lit the fuse....

Same thing, other side of the coin. A FOSS is a free and open Source solution, something that isn't paid for, even if they use parts of Open Source, you still have to have put down the initial investment for their machine. As far as I know MS doesn't disallow other OS on it's machines either.

Leopard and Tiger both retailed for $129 dollars. That includes Leopard ultimate snazzy boot screen edition :p

That being said, I don't get what you mean. What do you mean with "with MS you can say they get updates for free."? Microsoft still charges for their OS's right? Did I miss some news report?

MS does not sell computers, as such they have no choice to limit what operating system is run on what hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back