Linux Router box

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi i have been using the linux version of freesco which is a small program for routing which has a built in firewall and allows multiple users to use the same global IP address. The problem is i now want to do some more advanced things such as FTP hosting which i cannot do. Can some one advise me on how to set up a linux server and what software i need etc. I know its asking alot but i can not do this alone :happy:

hmm looks good but expensive
was hoping for cheap/freeware.

Also it did not seem to support dial up. (will be on broadband again soon but also want the option of dial up) and the ability of controlling it from my pc across the network
server is currently
p233mmx
32meg of ram
1 gig hdd
two 3comm network cards

though will shortly be upgrading it to
366 p2
128meg of ram
and possibly a bigger hdd

Expensive?? It's free unless you want the Office licence (support and stuff, not needed ;)).

You may be right about the dial-up though. This is the only router distro I've found with built-in FTP/web/file server. The alternative I guess is to get a normal distro (RedHat, Mandrake) and then configure the firewall to act as a NAT router.

OR, you could keep the old machine as a dedicated router and use the "new" machine as a standalone Linux server. Ports can allways be forwarded in case you want to use FTP, web and so on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back