Linux Partition

N

Not Bman

Alright, I have a 200GB harddrive,160GB is for windows, and i have made 40GB for linux SUSE 10, is there anyway I can get some files from within linux, from the windows partition?

i checked that out, and typed in the first thing I was soppose too,

and it sayed, no such directory? what do I do, I have an ntfs filesystem, i dont see anything for ntfs

**also, when I set my monitor perfect (using controls on the monitor) in linux, and then boot into windows, the screen is all screwed up, so I fix it....then when I go back into linux its all screwed again.......why is this happening HOW DO I FIX ITATINAG???

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just assume you have NTFS support in the kernel, you probably do. Follow the rest of the directions to mount your drive.

ok, i'll give that a try, get backt to you soon....

*edit....I just relised that the rest of the instructions use vfat...?

The 1st part is fat32, the 2nd in NTFS.

I should really read the whole thing before posting, do I also in put the # with the mkdir /mnt/winc

no, that just signifies you have to do it as root,
# <-- root
$ <-- reg user

how do I make sure I'm in root....(sry still abit new at this)

Open a console and type in su then type in your root password. By default it should show the prompt as blah$ when you are a normal user and blah# when you are root.

mkdir /mnt/winc
mount -t ntfs -o umask=0222 /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc
I tyed both those in, no errors came up, but nothing else showed up either....is it done?

I also don't understand the mount at startup thing, do I type this in to do that

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winc ntfs defaults,umask=0222 0 0??

Bman™ said:
mkdir /mnt/winc
mount -t ntfs -o umask=0222 /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc
I tyed both those in, no errors came up, but nothing else showed up either....is it done?
If you didn't see any error messages, it probably succeeded.
Just type "ls /mnt/winc" at the prompt and see if you get a listing of the files and directories on your Windows partition.

I also don't understand the mount at startup thing, do I type this in to do that
/dev/hda1 /mnt/winc ntfs defaults,umask=0222 0 0??
You need to add that line to the /etc/fstab file. Open it in your favorite text editor, add the line, save the file. Done.

i typed in /mnt/winc, and i get bash: /mnt/winc: is a directory

lmao, man I'm having some troubles tonight lol

yea the file list came up, I opened up tthat file, but its read only??

You can only mount NTFS read only. There is read-write support, but it is risky at best. Fat32 can be mounted read-write.

so i can't have it automaticly mount on startup?

now how do i get to those files?

The "easy" method to pass bidirectionally between linux and windows is to create a fat32 partition and use it as a swap area. It's cheating, but life is too short...

Yes you can, I'm confused.

/etc/fstab can only be modified by root, pretty much everything that lives outside of your /home/username directory can only be modified by the root account. From the terminal, as root, use a text editor and modify the file, nano, vi, emacs will all work.

I am in the terminal as root, do I need to open a text editor using the terminal, or just be in root, if i do need to use the terminal to open it, give me a small lesson on commands,

open, get, close?>???

(when this is all done, much reps going around for sticking with my stupidness)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back