linux networking

karl_axe

OSNN Addict
can anyone please tell me (in lay man's language please) how to share files between linux and windows Pc's.

i already had internet connection sharing. i still have problems with sharing files.

i already tried samba and NFS. i don't know how to get them to work.

thanks in advance guys!

You want Samba. That way you don't need anything extra on the Windows machine. I'm not sure if there's an easy way in layman's terms to do this, but I usually set it up in Webmin. Admittingly with a little trial and error before succeding. ;)

I use Mandrake 9.1 and without doing anything it see's my windows drives under /mnt.

Now I am using NTFS and the only thing I can do is pull files from windows to linux. I cant take files while in linux and put them on the windows drive. Now if your using fat32 with windows, I think you can go both ways.

Try this web page. It has a bulletin board just like ntfs.org

http://www.justlinux.com/

here are some more good links !

http://www.linuxquestions.org

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/index.php

Originally posted by G-Money
I use Mandrake 9.1 and without doing anything it see's my windows drives under /mnt.
Thats all locally on your machine right

G-Money: The file system of the Windows machine has nothing to so with it unless it's because of write permission settings, which can always be changed.

Originally posted by Geffy
Thats all locally on your machine right

Yes. IDE1 40gig drive (15gig c and 10 gig is d ) 15 gig linux.
I also have a 40 gig on IDE2 and linux can pull from it too !

Im using Mandrake 9.1 You can get it here !

Side note : linux can read and write to fat32 ! Make all your drives fat32 would be the easy way to go because there is no stable kernal out to support write, that I know of !

Originally posted by Zedric
G-Money: The file system of the Windows machine has nothing to so with it unless it's because of write permission settings, which can always be changed.

Yes it does ! The reason Linux cant write and most distros can even read is because Microsoft wont let anyone have the driver specs for the ntfs file system.

In order for me to write to my ntfs drive with mandrake I need to do a bunch of horse crap in Linux to get it to do it and I have no need to do it, for now !

I have write permissions turned off on my system ! My other windows box has no program reading and write to this one !

If you would like I can dig up the web page that explains much better then me about Linux and NTFS !

heres one !! click

read this forum post !

source :http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=121

Medium Answer:
All modern Linux kernels (all 2.4.x and many 2.2.x) DO support NTFS in read-only mode.

Long Answer:
Although you can read NTFS partitions created with any version of Windows NT, you can not WRITE to an NTFS partition created with Windows 2000, XP, or anything yet to come. NTFS partitions created with Windows NT 4.0 and earlier CAN be written to, but this tends to make a mess of the file system, so make sure to do a chkdsk when you boot into NT after writing from Linux.

Below are in-depth instructions on how to gain access to your NTFS partition from Linux.

To access your NTFS partition:

Open a shell if you haven't already.

Become root. Do this by running su and entering your root password when prompted.

Create a mount point for the NTFS partition. mkdir /mnt/ntfs

Mount your NTFS partition. mount -t ntfs -o umask=644 /dev/device /mnt/ntfs
Replace device with the name of your NTFS partition. See below for advice on how to find this if you don't know.

The contents of the NTFS partition is now part of your tree. When you want to access a file on it, just think of /mnt/ntfs as C:\ and you're all set.

When you are done, repeat steps 1 and 2 (if you exited the shell) and run umount /mnt/ntfs
If you want all that to be done automatically when you boot Linux (doesn't take effect until you reboot of course):

Open a shell and become root as described before.

Open your fstab file. kedit /etc/fstab
Note that this assumes you have KEdit (part of the kdeapps package) installed. If you don't, replace kedit with vim, xemacs, gnotepad, or whatever text editor you like.

Add this line somewhere in the file:
/dev/device /mnt/ntfs ntfs umask=000 0 0

Save and exit.
Note that you have to make sure the directory /mnt/ntfs exists before you reboot, or else it just won't work.

To figure out what device your NTFS partition is:

What kind of hard drive is it on?
If it's on an internal IDE drive, it will be HDxy
If it's on a SCSI drive, or a pen drive, or an IDE drive hooked up to USB or FireWire, or any number of bizarre methods, it will be SDxy

Which device letter (x) is it?
IDE drives will be A for primary master, B, for primary slave, C for secondary master, and so on.
SCSI and other drives will be A for the first detected, B for second, and so on.

If that doesn't help, run dmesg | less and look through it for clues.

Which partition number (y) is it?
The first partition on the disk will be 1, and the second will be 2, and so on.

So if it's the second partition on your primary master IDE drive, the device is HDA2
If you get an error about NTFS not being supported by your kernel, the first thing you should try is to install the NTFS kernel module:

Open a shell and become root.

Install the module. modprobe ntfs
If no errors, try mounting again. If you do get an error, you might have to build yourself a new kernel.

so is he tryin to access windows files on the same PC, or access files on a linux machine over a network as if they were Windows Shares

if its the latter then SAMBA is the thing you need

i tried samba and it didn't detect any network drives.

please help me out guys!

G-Money: Since the topic was linux NETWORKING I assumed that was what you were talking about. Of course it's different with a local disk.

karl_axe: The Linux machine won't detect anything. The Windows machine should be able to access the Linux just like a Windows computer. Have you set up the shares and everything? Is Samba running?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back