linux n00b

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
i need help setting up a spare computer i have into a file server so everyone on my network can access files and other crap. what type of linux should i install and what other programs will i need. thanks in advance.

I recommend you install Mandrake Linux and install the Samba server. That way, you can share files and folders with all of your computers.

where would i go about getting mandrake, should i get 9.2 or are the other versions just as good.

Originally posted by mike09
where would i go about getting mandrake, should i get 9.2 or are the other versions just as good.

Im running 9.2 and it runs awesome ! Much better then 9.1

Only thing is, the site I downloaded it from is gone ! So Im not sure where to get it now ! Unless you want to buy it ! Its very cheap !!!!

You can get 9.1 from the site below, or just about any other distro thats out there !!!

http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php

;)

If you're a nooB Redhat or Mandrake are good distros, I prefer slackware myself. Both RH and MD do too much for you, no learning involved, I don't think I really learned anything aobut linux until I used slack, just because you have to do more configuring yourself.

Originally posted by j79zlr
If you're a nooB Redhat or Mandrake are good distros, I prefer slackware myself. Both RH and MD do too much for you, no learning involved, I don't think I really learned anything aobut linux until I used slack, just because you have to do more configuring yourself.

Definitely have to agree with you there. :)

Why is the download so slow? I have a relatively fast dsl that normally dl @ between 245kbs and 700kbs and this thing wants to download 14kbs.Should I jus try another time?

Try the sunset.se mirror on the site j79zlr posted. Usually gives me fantastic speeds. :)

can someone explain how i can get samba to work. i downloaded it and was in a folder and i havbe no idea how to install it, in still downloading mandrake so i cant test it out yet. thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back