LINUX installation removed!

N

neoterixx

Im semi new to LINUX and today I removed it off my DUAL BOOT ( WINDOWS XP and MANDRAKE 8.2). I used DISK management and simply removed the partitions (probably a bad idea). anyway I still have LILO loading and wanted to know how to remove it out of my system, I have to use some kind of a command to remove it off my MBR, or should I just reinstall my whole os?:(

If you removed the partitions, I'm pretty sure your screwed, my advice, reformat and reinstall. but wait till somebody else voices their opinion first.

:cool:

My guess is that LILO is still in the MBR. In order to get rid of it there you need to do:

fdisk /mbr

off a boot disk. The /mbr switch resets the boot record, so ypu shouldn't have to reinstall Windows. Hopefuly someone out there can check to see if I am right about the /mbr switch. I've only used on when reinstalling systsems, but the system should still see Windows. The way to avoid that problem is to use the Windows loader and copy part of the Linux boot into the Windows partion.

I doubt it worked .. LiLo dosent reside on the boot partition. It is in the Master Boot Record. aka MBR. You need to remove iot from there. You need to boot into a DOS prompt and type fdisk /mbr you wont get any response but next time you boot it will be rewritten so then you'll be fine

evidently u guys can't read, he already reformated and reinstalled, so the point is it's done.

I type too slow :D I was writing my responce when he posted.

Originally posted by Iceman38
evidently u guys can't read, he already reformated and reinstalled, so the point is it's done.

Evidently you didnt read either because he said it fromatted and reinstalled... that wont work and he didnt say it did work. And the point is you didnt give the correct info 3 of us did so watch the attitude.
Maybe someone else can learn form this and not have to wipe their machine to remove lilo.

Originally posted by catch23
...Mandrake does that...most linux installations let you choose whether or not to put LILO in the boot record...Mandrake just does it.

Use Slackware - it works like a charm, and sometimes you have to wonder if it was intended for duel boot. I use it:D

[P§eüðøKe®]

LMAO

well put, speaking of attitudes, I didn't have one, but sounds like u did, hope u get over the cramps here soon.

have a nice day

Originally posted by Iceman38
[P§eüðøKe®]

LMAO

well put, speaking of attitudes, I didn't have one, but sounds like u did, hope u get over the cramps here soon.

have a nice day

Dont be a dick.. I am just trying to help if I misinterpreted what said I apologize but I guess you arent mature enough to go that road.. so this will be a fond fairwell.

No probs here, guess we both got our temps up for nothing, I apologize as well.

now rock on

Basically, I was lazy and in return I sort of caused some problems on my machine. That is the lesson to be learned. Thanks all with your help I knew it had something do with the MBR but couldnt find the commands. I think next time I will use a different machine instead of my main computer to learn linux... :D

Originally posted by catch23
You're not screwed, get a bootable disk with fdisk...boot to it...and type fdisk /mbr ...Mandrake does that...most linux installations let you choose whether or not to put LILO in the boot record...Mandrake just does it.

Mandrake is designed to be for newbies. If you choose Basic installation then you don't get to choose (you don't want to be bombarded with options you don't understand when you are new to linux). But if you choose the Expert installationi you get the choice of LILO Graphical, LILO Text, GRUB or No Boot(who chooses this?)

Rather than needing to make a boot disk just insert your winxp cd, boot off it and go to recovery console. then type fixmbr i think it is... might be repmbr.... just bring up the available commands and it'll show you what command it is

Deleting your linux partition won't **** up your comp, its just that you still have LILO on your master boot record and so if you choose to boot off Mandrake, thats when you get the problems.

Originally posted by mbunny

But if you choose the Expert installationi you get the choice of LILO Graphical, LILO Text, GRUB or No Boot(who chooses this?)

I have. I used to run a "bootless" Linux install on an old 2K/Debian box I used for various hardware experiments. Since I used 2K on that machine more than I did Linux (and needed to reboot frequently), it was nicer for me to be able to either just boot to Windows immediately, or pop in a boot loader floppy whenever I needed to run Debian.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back