Linux Install Problems

Corvette

Sauske!
I was going to install the copy of Red Hat Linux 7.0 that came with my book "Linux for Dummies" on Computer 1.

The CD did it's thing (Boot prompt, anaconda loading). But that was the case until the kernel did not detect my USB mouse and Keyboard. Will anyone figure out my problem?

And does Red Hat 8 and 9 have partitionless install support? I currently only have 1 hard drive at this moment so the only thing I can do with out reformatting is a partitionless install.

You might want to try Red Hat 9. I think they fixed this problem. If not, then switch to PS/2 mouse keyboard to install, then reconfigure for USB afterwords. As far as partitions go, Mandrake's install has the ability to resize windows partitions.

I knew this might be the case. And regarding Red hat Linux 9, Does it have partitionless install support?

If version 7 had it, I'm not sure as to why they would remove it from 9.

Maybe someone could test it on a VPC to see of it works in 8-9

ViperSnake: try downloading the latest version and try again. Or try Mandrake, as Mandrake will hold your hand thru the entire process.

I'm fairly certain that in Anaconda you can manually resize (not sure about auto because I don't like auto) windows partitions

1. I want to do a Partitionless install on Red Hat Linux 9
2. I don't have broadband (I have a 56k connection)

What is a "partitionless" install? :confused:
Unless you're talking about a LiveCD, you have to have at least one partition to install any operating system on.

Partitionless install: Installing Red Hat Linux without partitioning by installing a image of it on a current FAT(32) partition that you boot with a floppy without re-partitioning or effecting a installation of Windows that may be on the drive as well. It was offered in 6.1 till 7.3 and then it just dissapeared (It was not mentioned in the install guide).

Why don't you just install it correctly and give Linux it's own partition(s), RH only needs about 5GB for complete functionality.

i gots mandrake (along with win xp pro and win longhorn) and it works great. i suggest you try it.

Just figured this out, They removed support for fresh installing them in 7.2 but you can still upgrade them.

Yes try mandrake its like potty training for people new to linux

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back