• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Linux Install Problems

I was going to install the copy of Red Hat Linux 7.0 that came with my book "Linux for Dummies" on Computer 1.

The CD did it's thing (Boot prompt, anaconda loading). But that was the case until the kernel did not detect my USB mouse and Keyboard. Will anyone figure out my problem?

And does Red Hat 8 and 9 have partitionless install support? I currently only have 1 hard drive at this moment so the only thing I can do with out reformatting is a partitionless install.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You might want to try Red Hat 9. I think they fixed this problem. If not, then switch to PS/2 mouse keyboard to install, then reconfigure for USB afterwords. As far as partitions go, Mandrake's install has the ability to resize windows partitions.

X-Istence

Political User
ViperSnake: try downloading the latest version and try again. Or try Mandrake, as Mandrake will hold your hand thru the entire process.

What is a "partitionless" install? :confused:
Unless you're talking about a LiveCD, you have to have at least one partition to install any operating system on.

Partitionless install: Installing Red Hat Linux without partitioning by installing a image of it on a current FAT(32) partition that you boot with a floppy without re-partitioning or effecting a installation of Windows that may be on the drive as well. It was offered in 6.1 till 7.3 and then it just dissapeared (It was not mentioned in the install guide).

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Why don't you just install it correctly and give Linux it's own partition(s), RH only needs about 5GB for complete functionality.

B

Bronx Bomber

i gots mandrake (along with win xp pro and win longhorn) and it works great. i suggest you try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage