Linux help

karl_axe

OSNN Addict
i just installed RH8. i'm new so i need help

can you network linux and windows?

how do you play videos on linux? kaboodle doesn't seem to work

how do u install RPMS?

tnx a lot in advance

1. Yes. You want to look at Samba for that.

2. I suggest mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu).

3. "man rpm" in a console will give you some info on the matter. There's probably a GUI for it too, but I haven't found/used it.

tnx for the link guys!!!

is it possible to network windows and linux?

how do you conifgure the printer to print for openoffice?

and how do u install the rpms?

tnx a lot!!!

Like I said you use Samba to network Windows and Linux.

I don't know if there's any GUI for installing RPMs, if there isn't check the rpm manpage (man rpm) for syntax.

I'm sure that the newer RH's have the ability to just double click RPM packages.. that may be mandrake tho.. havent use Linux in quite a while :D

the thing is, all the answers too all your questiosn have been answered 10000 times on the internet, did you try google at ALL? seems rather a simple process to me

The forums are here to help people with their questions, we dont judge people by the questions that they ask, if everyone just wrote guides and used google there would be no need for any forums of this kind at all.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
The forums are here to help people with their questions, we dont judge people by the questions that they ask, if everyone just wrote guides and used google there would be no need for any forums of this kind at all.

DITTO

A) show me a point where I actually judged him, I simply stated that his questions have been answered many times over.

B) Sometimes there are plenty strange questions that people in forums may have trouble finding the exact answer too, tada, the reason for forums. His, like a large portion of other questinos on these forums, which are plauged by a vaguness like I have never seen before, was far frmo exact. Judging by his question, he would be better off reading full tutorial as he can't do the most basic of tasks.

instead of saying
the thing is, all the answers too all your questiosn have been answered 10000 times on the internet, did you try google at ALL? seems rather a simple process to me

You could have simply asked "have you tried searching with google?"

You could have simply asked "have you tried searching with google?"

Yes yes, it's all about the delivery.

hey guys, thanks for all your help

i didn't mean to strike an arguement. forgive my lack of knowledge

tnx a lot

Originally posted by karl_axe
tnx for the link guys!!!

is it possible to network windows and linux?

how do you conifgure the printer to print for openoffice?

and how do u install the rpms?

tnx a lot!!!

Install Samba to share files from you Linuix box with Windows. If you want to connect to a windows share from your Linux box then you can connect to it from withing your window manager by typing in smb://servername (must have the samba client installed)

to install RPM's from within the gui just right click on the RPM ->Open With -> Install Package. If from command line then type: rpm -i packagename

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back