linux? free!

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i am right in believing linux is free yeah?

so will u be able to download it off the net? where cna i get it from?

It is free. But it's not as amazing as some people make out. I've used it, and like it, however it's by no means a Windows replacement.

linux would be amazing if it could change program and driver installation and abstract the user from the kernel :cool:

I agree that most distributions of Linux are by no means a replacement for Windows on a desktop computer. I use Linux a lot, but mainly for my server. I also have Red Hat running on one of my other computers that I often use. Unless you are very experienced with Linux, it will be hard to get used to the change from Windows to Linux. Other than that, it is a great operating system.

SPeedY_B said:
It is free. But it's not as amazing as some people make out. I've used it, and like it, however it's by no means a Windows replacement.

All relative to what you want it to do. If you want Linux to use the latest greatest hardware to run all your games, then no it isn't a Windows replacement. That is the sole reason I still use a Windows desktop. I also experiment with Debian Sid a lot, and for many things, it is very very usable. Aside from the proprietary technology that requires Windows, Linux does everything Windows does. If I wasn't so used to my Windows apps and if I didn't play games so much, Linux would certainly become a replacement.

what would you say is the best 2 download, its actually for education purposes i dont intend to replace windows

if you want the easy start, try mandrake or readhat/fedora.

forcer said:
what would you say is the best 2 download, its actually for education purposes i dont intend to replace windows

Personally, Slackware ... a lot of Linux gurus will swear their life on the command line and it's worth getting used to. Most GUI based apps in Linux are usually just front-ends for their command line counter-parts anyway.

Another distro I would suggest for educational purposes is Debian, merely because it's being used as the base for many Linux distributions out there. Apt-get for Debian is very powerful ... if not complicated. I did a net-install of Debian, and getting it to work properly was an experience.

vern said:
Personally, Slackware ... a lot of Linux gurus will swear their life on the command line and it's worth getting used to. Most GUI based apps in Linux are usually just front-ends for their command line counter-parts anyway.

Another distro I would suggest for educational purposes is Debian, merely because it's being used as the base for many Linux distributions out there. Apt-get for Debian is very powerful ... if not complicated. I did a net-install of Debian, and getting it to work properly was an experience.

Great advise :D
Manual/file-based configuration is the way to go. It's so much easier to troubleshoot a problem when you know what you've done earlier, rather than staring blankly at a "wizard" window that doesn't always do what it should.

Besides, since this is for "educational purposes", there's no better way to get started than diving right into a distro that forces you to learn. :)

SPeedY_B said:

I felt this way a long time, but seriously, now, I can't seem to find a reason to be booted to windows, except to update my antivirus :)

NetRyder said:
Great advise :D
Manual/file-based configuration is the way to go. It's so much easier to troubleshoot a problem when you know what you've done earlier, rather than staring blankly at a "wizard" window that doesn't always do what it should.

Besides, since this is for "educational purposes", there's no better way to get started than diving right into a distro that forces you to learn. :)

Thank you for the advice right there (and everyone else of course)... I'm swimming around (from the very bottom) looking at distros, got a blank puter that I would very much like to learn linux basics on, and eventually run a dedicated counter-strike or basic webserver with it

looking into slackware right now... but wasn't sure if I should bother with GUI based versions or not, so that was the kick in the butt I needed :)

/edit - and thanks to j79zlr... nice tutorials, should prove to be very useful :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back