Linux BOOT removal

B

bheagle

Ok before everyone tells me to do a search, I DID ONE ALREADY!!!

hehehehe

anyway what is the easiest way to completely remove linux from the system, I wanna try a diff distro and I wanna get rid of the one I have, but I know I can't just format the partition it's on, I need help here...

I know I have to get rid of the boot lilo thingie....but I have no idea how.

Thx ...

jus give it a fukin large emp pulse:D

Is Linux on a partition or on a seperate HD? That determines how to remove it. As for Lilo, are you dual booting another OS such as Windows XP/2000/98? That determines how you remove it.

it's on a partition on my second drive and I only have Linux and XP installed

Ok...

To remove lilo/grub, do the following:

Boot your computer on the Windows XP disc. When you get to the screen asking whether you wish to Install, Run Recovery, or Quit, press R (this will run the Recovery Console).

It will then ask you to choose your XP installation. Press 1.

Enter in your Administrator Password for XP.

I believe you type in:

fixmbr

at the prompt. If not, type in "help" and it will list a command that has mbr in it. I believe it is fixmbr. This will remove lilo/grub from your computer and replace it back with the standard NTLDR mbr.

To remove the linux partition, you can either use a Windows 98 boot disc and remove the partition (it will be the extended partition) or you can use something like Partition Magic.

At last, something I know the answer to.

Make a bootable floppy disk with FDISK.EXE on it.

Boot with the floppy till the A:> prompt and type

FDISK /MBR

simple!!!

Originally posted by AlanPlum
At last, something I know the answer to.

:D :D

Actually, that WILL remove lilo/grub, but it won't replace NTLDR that gets removed when you install lilo/grub. You can try it and see if it does boot.

thanks all the fdisk /mbr worked great boots fine now...

thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back