Linksys WRT54G, either wifi or ethernet.. not both!

GEN3RIC

OSNN Senior Addict
Pretty annoying.. if the gateway has wifi broadcasting enabled, the computers hardwired to the gateway no longer get internet after about a minute. It sort of "fades away". If I turn off WIFI, it works through the hardwired ports!

Another issue we've been having is that, not necessarily the gateway, but the internet in general on my PC will go for a while, then after about 30 mins to an hour of usage (it varies) the bandwidth will quickly drop until it loses the connection completely. Pages time out, I get logged out of GAIM, then I disable the NIC, re-enable, and it works perfectly. I'm seriously puzzled.. I'd ask my networking teacher but he is so Apple-oriented I'm afraid the question would cause his brain to fry.

HELP, NLM and I need it.

Just updated to 4.30.5, from 4.20.5 (i think), and after a few hours of internet use it suddenly just loses connectivity to the internet and I need to disable/enable the NIC!

So the firmware didnt help that issue, and as for the Either/Or situation with the wifi/ethernet.. no its still not working. :(

Not really sure how NLM fits into the equation :rolleyes: :p

Try netlimiter - www.netlimiter.com to watch bandwidth. May give you some more info there. How many client(s) are having this problem and do they all have the issue at the same time?

I am GEN3RIC's Roommate! Just us two use it. I mainly use the wireless part and it never works. I have no idea what the issue is, does not make sense to me??

What type of encryption are you running?

What channel are you broadcasting on?

Any type of interference causing appliances in the area, such as 2.4GHz phones, microwaves, etc?

How long ago did this start happeneing, and how long did it work for, if at all, beforehand?

-Running no encryption right now just to find out what the issue is.
-I think channel 2 or 3. (@ work can't confirm)
-Not sure in an apt building but I had the issue where I used to live
-Worked for about a year, not been working for about 4 months.

If it was working for about a year and now not for 4 months, may be worth a shot to pick up a new one to test. Most places have a 14-21 day return window on hardware. If you get a new one and the issues are gone, chaulk it up to bad hardware. I also know that on the WRT54G they are up to revision like 5.x I believe, which includes bug/firmware/feature fixes versus previous versions.

Yeah I have plans on getting a new one
sasmokin.gif

Thanks for your help.

Eric get a long run of cat5 as well..... :p

Wait a tick, are you using this in conjunction with another device? Just noticed he referenced it as a gateway, not a router?

No just a router conneted to a cable modem.

Its ok, he is a noobie.

Last edited:
Ah, then he was using the wrong terminology :smoker:

How long is the distance from your machine to the router?

It's not the wrong terminology, a gateway IS a router. However you knew it was hardwired and also being used as a wireless gateway so put em together. :)

I fixed it, by the way. I had to manually plug in information on the NIC's.

ip: 192.168.1.200/24 (not in the 100's!)
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

dns: 192.168.1.1
alt: 4.2.2.2

Works great now, both on wifi and hardwired.. still dont know about the connectivity after X amount of time though. ill check in with that

OK I can confirm that the connection still drops after a bit. It has done it to me twice since I last posted.. disable NIC, re-enable and you're good.

What causes that?

Use WPA as WEP is prone to dropping. Then go into the router security section and make sure you are on the same channel, also if you are only running G than only broadcast in G.

I appreciate your input, but there is nothing enabled at the moment, and its my hardwired connection that is dropping, not the wifi.

I almost want to say it is my NIC, in a few minutes im going to see if I can get it to drop on my D820's NIC.... if it does happen a few times, we'll know it's the linksys router. :) thanks

Not really sure how assigning static IPs would have fixed your problem, unless the DHCP server on your router is borked :s

kcnychief said:
Not really sure how assigning static IPs would have fixed your problem, unless the DHCP server on your router is borked :s
Im not sure either, but I talked to the linksys support today and they said that is the way it needs to be.. some sort of bug. The big thing was the DNS servers, using the router's IP address for a DNS server, then an alternate being 4.2.2.2 is one of the 13 main DNS servers that NEVER go down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back