Linksys Wrieless-G 2.4GHz Router with SpeedBooster keeps disconnecting

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
basically told you everything i know in the title..
Linksys Wrieless-G 2.4GHz Router with SpeedBooster keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes. it does it no matter if its in use or not it just keeps disconecting and then reconnecting..anyone know why this happens? n if theres a fix to it?

Maybe could a Mod or SMod move it to Hardware Technical Support > Networking Hardware ?

yea that might help..didn't know there was a networking area...most of the time i use this one

Is the router renewing or is it the connected computers that keep reconnecting?

I had a similar problem when I first bought my Netgear G router with speedboosting. The problem, apparently, is Windows-related. Speedboost works by bursting the connection beyond 54Mb by using simultaneous spreads. Windows XP detects this boost and adjusts itself to the change. However, when the burst settles back down (every few seconds to a few minutes), Windows XP interprets this as a drop in the signal and thus, drops the connection. It then reconnects at the current speed and the cycle repeats itself.

You have two options for a fix:

1. Use a Linksys-G card that has software to accept the burst (taking Windows XP completely out of the loop). Or

2. Upgrade to RC2 of Windows XP SP2. This problem has been corrected in SP2.

im not using the wireless access tho..its all cat 45 cables for now..just got it cuz im gonna be buying a laptop soon...
modem> cat45 to router> cat45 to cpu
it shudn't drop the connection shud it?

the wire used for networking .... it looks like a telephone wire but its thicker and the head is bigger for it....i beleive its called a cat45 cable ...

i cant reallyget SP2 because of...*cough* pirated *cough* sooo yea is there any other way to get a fix for this?

Gary Pandher said:
the wire used for networking .... it looks like a telephone wire but its thicker and the head is bigger for it....i beleive its called a cat45 cable ...

I believe you are attempting to refer to a Category 5 (or Category 5e) cable with RJ45 ends. RJ45 is the type of connector. Category 5 (a.k.a. Cat5/Cat5e) is the type of cable.

As for SP2, you shouldn't be using pirated software. That is the leading cause to the spread of viruses and rising costs for Windows users.

Yeah, but still not an excuse to pirate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back