Linksys routers not compatible with Vista?

buzzstpoint

Computervitals.com
Political Access
My sis couldn't connect to the internet at her boyfriends place.
Roadrunner internet Cable modem --> Linksys router --> Computer.

Suddenly they had no internet connection.
She calls Roadrunner, and they say your connection to the modem is fine, Call E-machines.
She calls E-machines tech support and they tell her nothing is wrong with the computer and direct her to Linksys.

Linksys trouble shoots and tells her that with her model of router, is not compatible with Vista.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Comon, my d-link router is years old, and infact D-link 2 years ago put it on the "End of Life" list.. I have vista and no issues.

Edit: I should also add, This e-Machine running Vista has been on the internet with this router for a few weeks before..
He told her its and intermittent issue and they know about it.
Perhaps I missed it, but I never heard of a router not being compatible with an OS. Network is network, right? I mean Windows, Linux, Unix. Network data is network data.

Linksys trouble shoots and tells her that with her model of router, is not compatible with Vista.
That sounds highly unlikely. :) Even though I'm inclined to believe that's not cause of the issue, what model is the router anyway? I'm typing this on a Vista box connected to a Linksys WRT54G.

Could you also elaborate on what exactly is happening? Does the machine not get an IP address at all, or does it get an IP but can't connect to any site/service? Is the machine connected to the router via an ethernet cable or wirelessly? If you connect some other machine to the router, does it work properly?

Linksys routers with Speedboost have issues with Vista.
If that is the router, then intermittent issues with vista will be with you until Linksys comes up with a solution.
I'd get a Linksys without speedboost and have no problems

That sounds highly unlikely. :) Even though I'm inclined to believe that's not cause of the issue, what model is the router anyway? I'm typing this on a Vista box connected to a Linksys WRT54G.

Could you also elaborate on what exactly is happening? Does the machine not get an IP address at all, or does it get an IP but can't connect to any site/service? Is the machine connected to the router via an ethernet cable or wirelessly? If you connect some other machine to the router, does it work properly?

Not sure of the model, but she told me it's about a year and a half old.
She got into the router and can get an IP, Release the DHCP and Renew it.
But no internet. You can unplug the cable and connected right to the cable modem and within 15 seconds you'll have internet.
This was all the trouble shooting she has down with Linksys, and they told her this was a problem with Vista and few select routers.

Linksys routers with Speedboost have issues with Vista.
If that is the router, then intermittent issues with vista will be with you until Linksys comes up with a solution.
I'd get a Linksys without speedboost and have no problems
Well, Linksys claims their routers with SpeedBooster are already Vista-compatible:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671146109&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper#Compatible

buzzstpoint, can you find out the model number of the router and see if it's on that list?

It is compatible unless you use one of there wireless dongles. If you are wireless-ly linked to your router then driver issues apply to the wireless dongle for vista. If you are cat5 based you can rest assured that vista will be compatible.

Well, Linksys claims their routers with SpeedBooster are already Vista-compatible:
buzzstpoint, can you find out the model number of the router and see if it's on that list?
As soon as she goes back over there she'll get me the model number.

Nic Card? Vista prelaoded on PC?
Preloaded Vista on an Emachine they bought about a month ago.

It is compatible unless you use one of there wireless dongles. If you are wireless-ly linked to your router then driver issues apply to the wireless dongle for vista. If you are cat5 based you can rest assured that vista will be compatible.
Yes, they have this connected with the cat5 cable.

A number of Linksys products have been tested and compatible with Vista.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=2962527773B02
It just seems odd that it was working fine, then one day no internet connection. As said before, after all the trouble shooting, plugging the Ethernet cable directly into the modem you have internet.

Not really trying to find whats wrong with the modem, just trying to get some good information on her router being compatible with vista.

Just about all cable companies only allow one MAC address assigned to the modem. If you plug into a router after having a straight connection you would need to reboot (powercycle) the modem so it will release the current MAC and assign the router MAC. You would need to do the same when going from router to a connection without it.

Why would a router have to be compatible with an OS? It just routes traffic, it shouldn't care whats requesting it. Me confused? No wonder everyone I know who has bought a PC with Vista preloaded has requested an XP CD.

Just about all cable companies only allow one MAC address assigned to the modem. If you plug into a router after having a straight connection you would need to reboot (powercycle) the modem so it will release the current MAC and assign the router MAC. You would need to do the same when going from router to a connection without it.

Comcast used to do this, but hasn't, atleast by me, for about 5 years now.

Comcast and others still do it. Reason is if they allow you more than one MAC then you pull more than one IP address and that is only allowed if you pay extra for the home network package.

Picture is from modem log about a minute ago and you can see the max allowed is 1.

Attachments

• mac.JPG
    mac.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 169
Sounds exacty like a nuisance I've had for years with Linksys and SWBELL/ATT/SBC/name of the week.

If I re-establish a connection to the ISP (WAN IP) with my computer already on my PC can not find the DHCP server. I have to reboot the PC after the modem and router are up and connected. In the last year I have started having the problem show up even when everything is up and running. Sometimes hitting the router reset button will allow me to connect to the DHCP server.

Step 1 - hit the reset button (I put an extender on mine ot make this easier.)
If no joy try step 2
Step 2 - reboot the PC with the modem and router already on.
If no joy try step 3
Step 3 - shut down PC, modem and router. Turn on modem and router, wait 90 seconds then turn on the PC. I only resort to this if the IP address has gone away.

I should probably dig the netgear or dlink router out of the closet and try one of them but the linksys has been with me for 8 years. (Modem is brand new, hub is newer and 4 different NIC cards have made their way through my main PC).

Hopre it helps.

Might also be worthwhile to verify you have the latest firmware on the router. Just incase any rogue settings got set, I would also recommend resetting it to factory defaults and then applying the firmware, just to be safe.

Why would a router have to be compatible with an OS? It just routes traffic, it shouldn't care whats requesting it. Me confused? No wonder everyone I know who has bought a PC with Vista preloaded has requested an XP CD.

The router and/or its firmware needs to support certain features to qualify for the Vista "Certified For"/"Works With" programs.

Thats my point though. What "features" would a router have to support to be compatible. All it does is route traffic. Or is this the, for lack of a better term, roaming network profile thingy with Vista.

Thats my point though. What "features" would a router have to support to be compatible. All it does is route traffic. Or is this the, for lack of a better term, roaming network profile thingy with Vista.
I don't see any reason why any router should be "incompatible" with Vista either, as I mentioned in my earlier post.
My guess is that routers get the "certified" sticker if they support features like UPnP which makes media sharing etc. easier to configure/use.

Both of you are right. The program is designed to show that the hardware meets certain requirements and supports new networking features that Vista supports.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back