Linksys router/switch

Yes it can function as a hub until you get broadband.

The 4-port 10/100 Switch is independent and will work fine without a WAN connection.

Good choice of product! The BEFSR41 has served me for many months now and never failed. However be aware the new routers are alot more advanced so if you have the cash i recommened getting a higher model (they are very cool :))

Well, I really liked it because it had all the parts I was looking for in one package, not to mention that the price was nice.

Do these other routers you speak of have the same features as the Linksys (router/Switch/firewall)? If so, do you have any specific recommendations?

Yes and can do alot more. The newer routers on the market support more VPN protocols and Stateful packet inspection add to that they do hardware based firewalling in these little routers now.

Check the other linksys routers out, dont get me wrong though the BEFSR41 is a great router but in terms of VPN and security features it is more outdated its been around years.

Its enougth for most users by far but if you want that little extra look at some of the newer linksys routers.

If i were buying one now it would be The Instant Broadband™EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN EndPoint

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=433

Its VPN are intergrated firewall (not just NAT like the BEFSR41) is great.

Thanks, that all sounds real good (I guess?), but do I really need VPN capability and whatever else the model above (and others like it) offers? I'm just networking 3 PCs and giving Internet access to two of them. I'll most likely be using some firewall program along with what the router offers.

I don't spending a couple extra bucks for something good unless I'm actually going to use the added features.

Like i said above it depends i would guess no you wont want to VPN but the extra firewall functions are always good, however as you say you can do it for free with software.

A geek like me loves the hardware based VPN and firewall so i thought i would atleast mention it to you! :eek:

Go with the BEFSR41 because its great too!

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Well, I really liked it because it had all the parts I was looking for in one package, not to mention that the price was nice.

Do these other routers you speak of have the same features as the Linksys (router/Switch/firewall)? If so, do you have any specific recommendations?

d-link :)

I actually like them a bit better though they may be a bit more expensive in some places to get than linksys...

Since I'm not learned in Networking, I appreciate the input. I'll keep everyone's suggestions in mind. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I hate having money and indecision! :)

Spend some time on http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ they have a weath of info about a mass of products.

They have a section with background info so u can swat up if you so wish.
The reviews section is very good and may help you to decide on which one to get to.
Also the guys on the forums over there really are router buffs :)

If you like ill spend the money for you! Just to make your life easier of cause! :eek:

I have the D-Link DI-704P. Very nice, good firewall and 10/100Mbit on the WAN side. The cheaper (simpler firewall) version is DI-604 but you still get a 10/100Mbit WAN port.

Netgear also have some nice routers.

Originally posted by Enyo
Spend some time on http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ they have a weath of info about a mass of products.

They have a section with background info so u can swat up if you so wish.
The reviews section is very good and may help you to decide on which one to get to.
Also the guys on the forums over there really are router buffs :)

If you like ill spend the money for you! Just to make your life easier of cause! :eek:

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

I think I can spend the money fine all by myself. ;) I don't have lots, it's from my tax return and it's all earmarked already.

In case anyone is curious, my other purchases will be (all from Newegg):
-Corsair PC3200LL matched pair DDR (512MB)
-Logitech MOMO wheel (i love driving games:))
-Router/Switch unit.
-120GB WD HDD with 8MB cache
-External USB2.0 drive enclosure.
-SLK800 HS (with a YS tech 80mm fan)
-52x/24x/52x LiteOn CDRW drive.
-2003 Norton Sysworks

All that along with a few other non-PC related items will eat up the whole tax return.:( Then I'll have to wait a whole year to get more "toys".....well maybe not a whole year. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back