Linksys NSLU2 and Outlook PST problem

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
I have the Linksys NSLU2 at home as a NAS. I don't store any files on my pc (WinXP Pro) or notebook (Vista Business) anymore. I also have MS Outlook 2003 that stores its data in a PST file. I used to have this PST file stored on the NSLU2 also.

Now, every once in a while when I start Outlook the PST on the NSLU2 is corrupted and I have to repair it. I searched the Internet for a solution and noticed there are many more users that have this problem, but I have nowhere found a solution to the problem. I now copy the pst file to my desktop or pc with a startup script but this doesn't work 100% everytime too, so I keep losing mails because I have to use an old backup then.

On the NSLU2 I use the original Linksys firmware, updates of the firmware have not helped either. I am not into LINUX so solutions like "use UNSLUng firmware" are not usefull for me.

Any other solutions?

outlook does not like large .pst files. It gets worse working over a network to a remote storage.

Try breaking up your .pst into multiple files. Old mail into several "old stuff" folders and then one relatively small .pst for recent mail. Over a network I'd keep it to <50MB. Anything over a few 100 MB and risk of corruption starts getting high. I currently have 10 folders for my outlook at work.

also, running a pst file over a network link is unsupport by Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019). It has been unsupported since the days of Exchange 4.0

That being said, are you Creating your PST file as in the newer unicode format?

I now copy the pst file to my desktop or pc with a startup script but this doesn't work 100% everytime too, so I keep losing mails because I have to use an old backup then.
Why run it that way? Why not do it in reverse and keep the live version on the workstation and copy the backup to the server?

edit: moving this thread over the windows application forum as it is more an issue with Outlook and corrupted PST files.

I agree, you shouldn't be accessing the PST over the network. You should keep it locally. Local bandwidth is free but easily consumed. Back it up nightly, but keep it local.

I don't keep the pst file locally because I switch a lot between pc and laptop and need to have the newest pst file at hand at all time. If I only backup at night (which I do anyway with all my personal files) and dl the mail to the pst file on the laptop then I can't read this new mail on the pc because it is locally stored on the laptop... And I cannot keep the new mail on the server (from the provider) because I only have a small sized mailbox (about 25 MB). So I do have to copy the pst file between laptop/pc and nslu2...

outlook does not like large .pst files. It gets worse working over a network to a remote storage.

Try breaking up your .pst into multiple files. Old mail into several "old stuff" folders and then one relatively small .pst for recent mail. Over a network I'd keep it to <50MB. Anything over a few 100 MB and risk of corruption starts getting high. I currently have 10 folders for my outlook at work.

My pst file is only about 10MB and the archive pst file is about 25 MB, so this cannot be the problem, for me anyway.

Thanks for trying to help anyway

Why not leave the mail on the server for ~7 days? That way both your desktop and notebook will download the mail.

I know. But then at the end of the week I have to merge the two PST files into one. Because when I have sent email with the laptop I cannot see this on the PC...

Is it possible to merge two pst files into one?

You can import it and replace duplicates or set it not to import duplicates. Importing is basically merging.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back