Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2 , how to config?

I

iForceTundra

i hooked all of the wires, router, NIC , correctly , now i just need to know how to configure all 3 comptuers, if anyone can help that would be great...

(2) win XP pro
(1) win 2K pro

paul m

Enable DHCP in the router and run the home and small office network wizard.

how do i enable DHCP? cause hte CD that came with it is useless

Log into the router itself and go to the Tab at top that says DHCP. SHould be configured already but, check to see if it is and set it to the amount of PC's on your network.

Go into browser and in the address put>192.168.1.1

Admin is username
Admin is password[change it after you set everything up]

You'll see DHCP tab at top

DHCP SERVER >enable
Starting IP should be default
Number of users: IN your case 3

Dont worry about the rest stuff you see there right now. Take the time to learn about them later.

Save and exit

In your N.N. make sure your network connection is set up for microsoft network. Right click your connection and select properties to see this. Then do the home and office network wizard and look at the examples Microsoft gives you so that you can click on the appropriate setup that best resembles your network.:)

TerraHertz, why are you telling this person to run DHCP on a router?!?! There is no need to run DHCP. I hate to think you actually have this product and are using DHCP for NO REASON AT ALL. Your router is its own DHCP, dont need the protocol enabled at all, pls do not tell ppl this in the future as this will start to cause issues with ppl and their online gaming, specifically with CS, quake and a few others. If you dont believe me, hook up a few computers to the router, dont turn on DHCP, and just put in the regular info, such as the Wan address aka. your IP address, static or dynamic, the gateway, DNS servers (if given), and then that is that, that is all you need to have connection going throughout the network, no matter if its just internet or if its peer2peer inside the LAN.

Log into the router itself and go to the Tab at top that says DHCP. SHould be configured already but, check to see if it is and set it to the amount of PC's on your network.

No, its not enabled by default, and there is no need for it to be unless you start using dynamic routing and more advanced features

So, Tundra, I wouldnt recommend messing with the DHCP tab at all. All you have to do is set the client machines to an assigned IP from the router in each pc network settings, either you can leave it detect automatically, or like I said, assign one, such ass 192.168.1.2 ; 192.168.1.3 ; 192.168.1.4 and so on. If you do put an assigned IP in the client machines settings, then also enter the Lan IP address, that will be 192.168.1.1, in the gateway blank.

In your N.N. make sure your network connection is set up for microsoft network. Right click your connection and select properties to see this. Then do the home and office network wizard and look at the examples Microsoft gives you so that you can click on the appropriate setup that best resembles your network

Again, no need for this really either, it is nice to have maybe, but not needed unless you are comfortable doing so AFTER you are connected with the internet. Although this may be needed to access other computer's printers or shared drives on the network, but thats another subject entirely.

Enable DHCP in the router and run the home and small office network wizard

Why run this? ICS is not the issue here, he is using 3rd party software/hardware for connection sharing, this will only confuse nic settings and network settings.

Paul, all you have to do is enter the info in the Router Browser page, the IP if static then assign your modem IP (aka Wan IP), then enter the gateway of the modem, and then the DNS Servers if you have that info (preferred). With XP, boot up and you should automatically connect to the internet using the default "detect IP" settings in the network connection properties. Win2k may also connect on the fly to the internet. If not, then go into network properties and assign a LAN IP as mentioned above. I would recommend assigning an IP on the client network properties as to reduce confusion of the flow of information along the network, especially with the more computers connected to the router.

Good Luck :)

Originally posted by keylo
TerraHertz, why are you telling this person to run DHCP on a router?!?! There is no need to run DHCP. I hate to think you actually have this product and are using DHCP for NO REASON AT ALL. Your router is its own DHCP, dont need the protocol enabled at all, pls do not tell ppl this in the future as this will start to cause issues with ppl and their online gaming, specifically with CS, quake and a few others. If you dont believe me, hook up a few computers to the router, dont turn on DHCP, and just put in the regular info, such as the Wan address aka. your IP address, static or dynamic, the gateway, DNS servers (if given), and then that is that, that is all you need to have connection going throughout the network, no matter if its just internet or if its peer2peer inside the LAN.

No, its not enabled by default, and there is no need for it to be unless you start using dynamic routing and more advanced features

So, Tundra, I wouldnt recommend messing with the DHCP tab at all. All you have to do is set the client machines to an assigned IP from the router in each pc network settings, either you can leave it detect automatically, or like I said, assign one, such ass 192.168.1.2 ; 192.168.1.3 ; 192.168.1.4 and so on. If you do put an assigned IP in the client machines settings, then also enter the Lan IP address, that will be 192.168.1.1, in the gateway blank.

Again, no need for this really either, it is nice to have maybe, but not needed unless you are comfortable doing so AFTER you are connected with the internet. Although this may be needed to access other computer's printers or shared drives on the network, but thats another subject entirely.

Why run this? ICS is not the issue here, he is using 3rd party software/hardware for connection sharing, this will only confuse nic settings and network settings.

Paul, all you have to do is enter the info in the Router Browser page, the IP if static then assign your modem IP (aka Wan IP), then enter the gateway of the modem, and then the DNS Servers if you have that info (preferred). With XP, boot up and you should automatically connect to the internet using the default "detect IP" settings in the network connection properties. Win2k may also connect on the fly to the internet. If not, then go into network properties and assign a LAN IP as mentioned above. I would recommend assigning an IP on the client network properties as to reduce confusion of the flow of information along the network, especially with the more computers connected to the router.

Good Luck :)

Uhmm keylo what are you so talking about. I run DHCP on my linksys and it automatically assigns prv IP's to my PC's. Do you own that particular router are you just trying to say something.
This guy does not want to go through the trouble of using static IP. Ive done it and my damn cable company kept changing DNS on me. Now I just set it for DHCP and thats that. I can play Quake and everything else. I WOULD NOT give some one info that Im not sure about buddy.
Your the one giving him more work than it is. Whats your problem with the router auto assigning an IP to his machines. When I have LAN parties all I have to is plug my friends machines in and everything is auto. Ive connected the router to Win 98, ME, 2000 and Xp using DHCP.

I vote to KEEP IT SIMPLE--

I have that linksys router and it is great.
Just to get you up and running--
I would reccomment USING the DHCP as Terrahertz suggests.
Make sure you specify the number of computers so that the router will only allow that many specific puter ip addresses.
AFTER you get all of you puters up and running and talking to each other then, and only then, would I start to mess with configuring the router in other ways (for example IF you need a static ip-- you may never need to do this for your needs).
Keep it simple, get it up and running, then you can start to understand how the damn thing works and start messing around:D (course thats just MY OPINION :D )

I have 3 puters on my LAN all sharing a single DSL (AND I am running an ftp server)-- you will wonder why you waited so long to do this-- the LAN is great.

For specific problem you encounter along the way ->> DO a SEARCH of these forums before you start asking your questions-- most of the questions have already been answered many times. This forum is a great resource.

Bw when you log onto your router the first time:
Leave the User name blank and put admin for the password.

good luck

ok, i have did the DHCP enable thing,

and set up my home network wizard already,

and i can see my brother computer and send/recieve files

the only problem now is that i dont get internet through any computer....

i called up my ISP (they didnt really like the fact i was using one, but the guy was cool about it) and the first one said i didnt need a Host name or a Domain name, i called back 10 min later to ask another Tech. he said you had to have a domain name and he gave me one,
and neiteher worked...

am i doing something wrong or is it the router?
my friend said i just wasted my money with a router, and i could have used my NETGEAR 4 port 10/100 hub? is that true? how does a router have advantage over a hub?

you ask that kind of question and you are going to get..

different answers from everybody. I like my linksys, works like a charm.- new computer -> no problem, just plug it in, run the networking wiz, share a few folders/drives/whatever and you are in business. anyway, but I digress...

I am at work so I cannot attach pics( I will later if you need them)

If your puters are all talking to each other, that is great. 1 problem down. What you have to do now is tell your router to log on to your isp (I have my preferences set up to keep the connection alive, autoreconnect)

How you set your linksys up to connect depends on the type of protocol your isp uses. (mine uses ppoe, so I must make sure the ppoe box is checked. Choose autodetect settings, enter your username and password. make sure that the cable from your modem plugs into the WAN port. , cycle your modem (turn it off, wait, turn it back on while everything is plugged in), then, after all of the pretty lights stop blinking like crazy and remain steady then reboot your computers. Make sure your dialup settings are turned off (Never dial a connection).

That should be it.
I don't know what the hell the techs were telling you.

Give us a little more information if you need more help.
1 what type of connection (cable modem, DSL)
2. Do you know if you need to use ppoe ?? (peer-2-peer-over the ethernet)
3. What domain names did the techs give you??

That sort of thing would help us to help you:D
Most ppl have problems getting their puters talking amongst each other so at least it sounds like you have that problem licked:D

keylo, what the hell are talking about?!? Of course he should use DHCP, it make it all soooo much easier. What do you mean the router is it's own DHCP? There are no issues with games compared to static internal IP. At least not as long as the lease is set long enough. That should keep the IP:s static enough for port mapping.

iForceTundra:
A router makes it possible to have just one external IP (most ISP:s will only give you one). It examines the traffic and sends it to the right destination. A hub is just a dumb traffic splitter. Tell your friend to read some more on the subject before saying such things.
The things you are missing are probably:
Default Gateway: must be set to the IP of the router.
DNS server: may be the routers IP, may be the IP of the DNS server of your ISP.
These should be set in the DHCP area on your router (should be there, I don't have a router to check on).

sweet, i just bought one of these puppies but have been mustering the patience to set it up. now i'm printing this and it should help me. thanks all.

im using

1. Charter pipline cable internet
2.i dont knwo wat ppoe is... and i dont know if my isp does..
3.they gave me "ftwrth.tx.charter.net" and the second Tech said just leave it blank it should work

im gonna give this router 1 week before i package it up and return it back to frys

yea that would be great if ya could attach pics..

For all you ppl that think you need to run DHCP, disable it, and just run either auto detect or assign IP in the client machine network setttings. THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN THIS WHACK NETWORK WIZ. No reason at all, I have owned the linksys 41 for 2 and 1/2 years, and been running XP for a yr and 1/2. I also have my CNA and my MSCE. I shouldnt have to tell you my credentials I think I know what I am talking about. But since some of you DHCP users think I dont, talk to linksys tech support, if you ever get a knowledgable person on the line, or anyone on the line at all. Or if you want, check out some knowledgable LINKSYS forums.

DHCP is not needed, the router is its own DHCP. You only need DHCP if you own the linksys hub.

As long as you have a tcp/ip protocol assigned to a nic on that client machine, whether it is setup auto or not, you will see the balloon popup in the bottom right corner telling you that a network cable is plugged in.

Tundra, I can tell you what your problem is, you have seen ppl tell you the IPX protocol is the way to go, maybe if you were running ICS as many do, since they dont either have the money, or dont believe in 3rd party hardware. Internet is not going to travel on IPX. You will only see the other clients files and be able to transfer, THATS IT!! IPX is a faster protocol, meant to deter confusing loads of traffic on a LARGE network long used for P2P networks, big firms or networks started using. NOT DHCP

For a solution, Just setup TCP/IP auto or not, then go to the advanced button, then the WINS tab and for your Netbios Settings, set to default or enable. Then there is no need for the IPX protocol to be able to see other client computers or share files between them. Using netbios behind the firewall will be protected as long as the other computers are not on the DMZ. For the client settings enter the IP: 192.168.1.2 the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 and your ISP's DNS servers. This will resolve conflict later on down the road as I will explain further.

After you have chosen to do this, make sure that all client computers are on the same name for the Domain name. Then go to the "Entire Network" and search for the other computers on your network, THIS will solve your internet/P2P network problem.

You dont need PPOE as cable does not run on PPOE, so yet here is another answer that, YES, is TOTALLY wrong, quit ppl, jesus!!

LPDad, you are on DSL, therefore dont give him the way you setup your DSL connection with your router, as it is totally different than setting up a cable modem, much easier setting up a cable modem than it is a DSL connection, especially a dialup.

There is no need to mess with any other SETTINGS on your router's configuration page, other than the Wan IP address (your modem's IP), the gateway IP, DNS servers, to get internet connection and P2P. No need to fumble with DHCP, PPOE, autoconnect settings, none of that crap. This will only confuse the hell out of you as I can see it already has. Once you get that working, THEN you can mess with port forwarding for gaming, ftp, webserver, ect.

For your "domain" name, just choose WORKGROUP for the time being. That is the defualt domain name XP will give to you, just use this and you can change the domain later after you get everything up and running.

Posted by TerraHertz:
Uhmm keylo what are you so talking about. I run DHCP on my linksys and it automatically assigns prv IP's to my PC's. Do you own that particular router are you just trying to say something.
This guy does not want to go through the trouble of using static IP. Ive done it and my damn cable company kept changing DNS on me. Now I just set it for DHCP and thats that. I can play Quake and everything else. I WOULD NOT give some one info that Im not sure about buddy.
Your the one giving him more work than it is. Whats your problem with the router auto assigning an IP to his machines. When I have LAN parties all I have to is plug my friends machines in and everything is auto. Ive connected the router to Win 98, ME, 2000 and Xp using DHCP.

Ok, Terra, you are correct, of course a person could run DHCP, but that is like using two parachutes while jumping out of a plane. Yes, you need a parachute, and if your lucky, you may not splat on the ground like a bug, but there is a GOOD chance that when Using the two chutes (aka the router's its own DHCP server, and the DHCP option itself) there is a bigger chance of them getting intertwined (confused) and you falling to the ground.

What I am trying to say is, you dont need to run DHCP. It is an advanced feature for running a Large network, just like dynamic routing is (using more than one router/hub). If you still believe so, then answer me this, why on that page can you have up to 255 computers on DHCP, but you only have 4 ports ( on the 4 port router). If you can explain this to me, then I will halfway believe that you acutally know what DHCP is and what it does. Instead of using DHCP, just enter an assigned IP that will be given to that client pc from the router, aka 192.168.1.2 in the network settings on the client pc. What this is for is if you are on a big network and trying to find a specific computer if you dont know the domain name and the firm identifies the computer by IP addy and not the computer name, aka Lan messaging, or setting up a Lan webserver. You have to know the IP of the host computer that is hosting the Webserver when setting that up, you cant just set the IP as the host compters name description. This is the MAIN reason why.

Yes, DHCP will work, but its more extra work to confuse a FIRST TIME USER setting up his router. You dont need to put in extra steps to confuse a person unless they know what they are doing.

Terra, if you have multiple pc's on a router, lets say 5, 2 run 24/7, you never shut them down. The other 3 shutdown here and there, some at the same time, some not. Say computer #1, 2 and 3 shutdown, computer #1 had IP 192.168.1.2 #2 had 192.168.1.3 and #3 had 192.168.1.4. Now, shutdown all three of them, then boot the computers in reverse order. I guarantee you that when booted back up, they will have a different assigned IP address. #3 would have 192.168.1.2 #2 would have the same ironically cuz its the middle pc 192.168.1.3 and pc #1 would have 192.168.1.4 . Complete reversal. Now lets say you had a FTP server installed on pc #1, and the original settings were for it to echo a request from a client on port 21 from 192.168.1.2 (when forwarded on the port forward page). Well, those settings would now correspond with pc #3 since it now wears the assigned IP of 192.168.1.2 and the ftp server host pc now wears 192.168.1.4 since you are using auto-detect IP. This is the same when hosting a Lan Webserver for your network to view. This is the second main reason why you would assign IP's on the network by putting them in the client pc's network settings, to stop confusion, and having to always enter "ipconfig" to figure out what IP the FTP server is host pc is now wearing, and having to change the settings in your Linksys browser.

Now after all that typing to hopefully explain in detail what is the easiest and much less confusing with the least amount of steps to setup this router, Tundra could have had this up in running in no time.

Tundra, basically, if you read the manual, its alot better than having to call the tech support, you will actually probly hear them turning the page of the same book you have. And dont try email ever, its not any better.

Posted by LPDad:
How you set your linksys up to connect depends on the type of protocol your isp uses. (mine uses ppoe, so I must make sure the ppoe box is checked.

Check again LPDad and see if you are running your connection over TCP/IP. PPOE is settings the company runs, used for data travel, or MTU, or Maximum Transfer Unit.

Tundra, you will also see MTU at the bottom of the linksys browser home page. Most cable ISP's should be 1500, some are not, I wouldnt worry about this either, XP will determine the MTU string. If you really want to figure it out, ping your isp with a packet of 1500, and see if it needs to be defraged to be sent, aka % loss

Your ISP internet specialist should tell you what the MTU is, if he even knows himself.

one other thing to enter in the clients IP settings that I forgot to mention is the subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0, but this can vary

You've explained yourself Keylo. At first I wasn't sure:rolleyes:

keylo, W-H-A-T T-H-E H-E-L-L are you talking about?!?
Code:
Internet
   |
 Router
/||||||\
Computers
The router SHOULD have DHCP server enabled in order to automaticly assign IP, DNS, Gateway and so on to the clients! The router itself gets it's external IP either using a DHCP client or static IP. You say you should use auto IP on the clients with the DHCP server turned off. How the hell do you think that will work?? DHCP should be on to make it easy. PERIOD.

The clients will not loose their IP if you reboot, as long as the lease time in the router is longer than say a few days. Unless your router has a badly implemented DHCP server.
What I am trying to say is, you dont need to run DHCP. It is an advanced feature for running a Large network
No it is not. Where did you get that idea?
If you still believe so,then answer me this, why on that page can you have up to 255 computers on DHCP, but you onlyhave 4 ports ( on the 4 port router). If you can explain this to me, then I will halfway believe that you acutally know what DHCP is and what it does.
It's very easy. Most home users will never use more than 4 ports. Putting 255 ports into a router is just stupid. If you need more connections, just add a hub or a switch (or several). Easy.

Please explain yourself clearly this time.

/Zedric, somewhat annoyed by now.

Ok, Zedric, let me explain...

The router SHOULD have DHCP server enabled in order to automaticly assign IP, DNS, Gateway and so on to the clients!

Ok, first, I am starting to wonder if you even have the linksys 4 or 8 port router.

This is what my point with DHCP was/is.

Terra, if you have multiple pc's on a router, lets say 5, 2 run 24/7, you never shut them down. The other 3 shutdown here and there, some at the same time, some not. Say computer #1, 2 and 3 shutdown, computer #1 had IP 192.168.1.2 #2 had 192.168.1.3 and #3 had 192.168.1.4. Now, shutdown all three of them, then boot the computers in reverse order. I guarantee you that when booted back up, they will have a different assigned IP address. #3 would have 192.168.1.2 #2 would have the same ironically cuz its the middle pc 192.168.1.3 and pc #1 would have 192.168.1.4 . Complete reversal. Now lets say you had a FTP server installed on pc #1, and the original settings were for it to echo a request from a client on port 21 from 192.168.1.2 (when forwarded on the port forward page). Well, those settings would now correspond with pc #3 since it now wears the assigned IP of 192.168.1.2 and the ftp server host pc now wears 192.168.1.4 since you are using auto-detect IP. This is the same when hosting a Lan Webserver for your network to view. This is the second main reason why you would assign IP's on the network by putting them in the client pc's network settings, to stop confusion, and having to always enter "ipconfig" to figure out what IP the FTP server is host pc is now wearing, and having to change the settings in your Linksys browser.

Zedric, its just the same when talking about an ISP that has DHCP/dynamic IP vs. Static. When you have a static IP (non changing) from your ISP. No mater how many times, or when you shutdown your computer, when you boot back up you will be wearing the same IP you had when you shutdown. Why, cuz this is static, non dhcp. Now, lets discuss what happens when your ISP is running dhcp. The rule of thumb is that you will have an IP a day on the average, depending on how much rebooting you do. You will not have the same IP every day, day by day. It will change of course. The internet is getting bigger and bigger and of course its cheaper to run dhcp on the ISP network rather than having to buy IPs, which are running low.

So, back to why not necessarily DO NOT run DHCP, its more of why you dont have to, and if you are, what you are actually doing.

Being familiar with the configuration browser, looking at the DHCP tab, just at first glance you see where an IP on the lan has to be entered. Hmmmm, now what doe that do? Well, when enabling the DHCP server and plugging in an IP say 192.168.1.100, if there IS a machine actually wearing that address, then IT is the DHCP SERVER. This, Zedric, is where the #255 comes into hand. How do you think a person could manage to have 255 pc's running? Why would linksys even have a # that high? Well, lets say you enable DHCP and set a Lan IP to a client pc on the network to be the DHCP server host. Set the # amount of computers to 50. Now, this doesnt mean that the only IP's that can be used are 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.52 . They can be any Lan IP starting with the 192.168.1.xxx .

Ok, so now that is explained. Back to answer how a person can have 255 pc's. Piggy back, or chains. I am sure some of you already know. Also dynamic and static routing can be used, that is what those tabs are for. Its just like constructing a pyramid of tiers.

Zedric, yes, you can setup the config browser for the WAN IP to auto detect, even if you have a static, but I wouldnt recommend. Enter the modem's IP if static in the Wan IP and Defualt Gateway in the router's configuration. Enter the Subnet mask and the DNS servers, if provided. Now, Go to a client on the Lan, open up network properties, enter an IP, say 192.168.1.2 and a Defualt gateway as 192.168.1.1 ( the router is a gateway, therefore it in a way is a regular NAT setup on a *nix box, no different. It is its own DHCP). Enter your ISP dns's if provided. Then reboot.

Overall it is best to manually enter an IP in the network properties. Doing so will have less confusion on the network, since alot of people setup an FTP server or play games online. Having to figure out what IP the machine you have running is wearing over and over and possibly having to change the IP in the port forward section to correspond with what app or game you are running needed to get outside the firewall. DHCP is not needed, but if you think different, and can say that you tried the way I have explained, feel free to bitch my way.

Dude your really making too much of a big deal out of this. I'm using DHCP at home and am very happy. NO worries no Problems. Im glad you know your stuff, me too. I am also one of the network gurus at my job and yes we do use static and corporations do use DHCP just to let you know. The guy will be better off using DHCP for now. I think so and everyone else in this post thinks so. If you thought we were confusing him just check what you have posted:confused:

Originally posted by keylo
Ok, first, I am starting to wonder if you even have the linksys 4 or 8 port router.
You are correct, I don't. But its a normal NAT router ("Broadband Firewall"), right?
Zedric, its just the same when talking about an ISP that has DHCP/dynamic IP vs. Static. When you have a static IP (non changing) from your ISP. No mater how many times, or when you shutdown your computer, when you boot back up you will be wearing the same IP you had when you shutdown. Why, cuz this is static, non dhcp.
Yes of course, I didn't say otherwise.
Now, lets discuss what happens when your ISP is running dhcp. The rule of thumb is that you will have an IP a day on the average, depending on how much rebooting you do. You will not have the same IP every day, day by day. It will change of course. The internet is getting bigger and bigger and of course its cheaper to run dhcp on the ISP network rather than having to buy IPs, which are running low.
Yes, you are right again.
So, back to why not necessarily DO NOT run DHCP, its more of why you dont have to, and if you are, what you are actually doing.

Being familiar with the configuration browser, looking at the DHCP tab, just at first glance you see where an IP on the lan has to be entered. Hmmmm, now what doe that do? Well, when enabling the DHCP server and plugging in an IP say 192.168.1.100, if there IS a machine actually wearing that address, then IT is the DHCP SERVER.
This is where I lost you a bit. That IP is the IP you want the router to use internally, no? If there already is a computer with that IP on the LAN there will be problems, naturally. Just make sure there isn't.
This, Zedric, is where the #255 comes into hand. How do you think a person could manage to have 255 pc's running?
Well not at home of course.
Why would linksys even have a # that high?
Because a subnet (C-class) is defined as a group with the same IP up to the third number (192.168.1.*). The fourth number (unique to a client) has a range of 0-255 (00 to FF in hex, 8 bits). Therefor you can have 253 clients on an ordinary LAN using DHCP (0 and 255 are invalid, plus one must be the DHCP server (router)).
Well, lets say you enable DHCP and set a Lan IP to a client pc on the network to be the DHCP server host.
No why would you do this? Does this (and the above around "192.168.1.100") mean that the Linksys does not have a DHCP server inside? In that case I understand your argument. But it does, doesn't it? Why make a NAT router without a DHCP server?
Set the # amount of computers to 50. Now, this doesnt mean that the only IP's that can be used are 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.52 . They can be any Lan IP starting with the 192.168.1.xxx.
So?
Ok, so now that is explained. Back to answer how a person can have 255 pc's. Piggy back, or chains. I am sure some of you already know. Also dynamic and static routing can be used, that is what those tabs are for. Its just like constructing a pyramid of tiers.
Now this is advanced networking, but you can still have 253 clients on an ordinary (non-routed) LAN.
Zedric, yes, you can setup the config browser for the WAN IP to auto detect, even if you have a static, but I wouldnt recommend.
That would not be wise. If there is no DHCP server you won't get an IP. A simple as that.
Enter the modem's IP if static in the Wan IP and Defualt Gateway in the router's configuration. Enter the Subnet mask and the DNS servers, if provided.
Yes, correct.
Now, Go to a client on the Lan, open up network properties, enter an IP, say 192.168.1.2 and a Defualt gateway as 192.168.1.1 ( the router is a gateway, therefore it in a way is a regular NAT setup on a *nix box, no different.
They can be regarded as the same thing, yes.
It is its own DHCP).
Now this is the part I don't get. "It is its own DHCP". What does that mean? Do you mean it has a built in DHCP server? In that case, why not use it? What do you mean?
Enter your ISP dns's if provided. Then reboot.

Overall it is best to manually enter an IP in the network properties. Doing so will have less confusion on the network, since alot of people setup an FTP server or play games online. Having to figure out what IP the machine you have running is wearing over and over and possibly having to change the IP in the port forward section to correspond with what app or game you are running needed to get outside the firewall. DHCP is not needed, but if you think different, and can say that you tried the way I have explained, feel free to bitch my way.
I my experience the computers on a LAN running DHCP (like the one I have at home) very rarely changes IPs. I've been running my computer using DHCP for more than two years and it hasn't changed it's IP yet! Even when I change the hardware (except the NIC of course). A DHCP lease is bound to the MAC address of the NIC you use. When the lease is active (the computer is on) the IP is locked for other computers, so they can't get it. When the lease is inactive (the computer is off) the lease can be given away to another computer (this is why an ISP will give you different IPs almost every time). When a client requests an IP through DHCP it will also submit it's previous IP (the preferred IP). If the DHCP server is correctly implemented it will take not of this and, if possible, give the client the same IP as before. Therefore this will cause little to no problems with port mappings. If you ask me the job of typing in the correct IP,Gateway,DNS and so on in every client (ok if you have only one I guess) is bigger than typing it in once in the router and then fiddle with the portmappings every once in a while (or never).

Well, Zedric, I never meant to imply that you didnt know what you were talking about as far as networking, but as far as networking with a linksys router... Yes, it IS somewhat different. Linksys has alot of features that a regular NIX NAT would have, or even a D-Link router/gateway does. If my memory is correct from messing with a friends D-Link, it didnt have an option for DHCP like the linksys does. Although, its been awhile, it may have been a 3com gateway. But Zedric, this is why ppl get confused, becuase you almost have to speak a variable language when talking with other 3rd party products. Now, ppl that do have the linksys have the option to use the hardware as a gateway or router. Yes, the basically are the same things, but also they are not. A Gateway itself, will act almost as an entire computer box, or NAT, without enabling the DHCP to be used on another computer. This would be done to make it a DHCP server to piggy back a hub from that client, or a router.

All in all, Zedric, if this was a thread about setting up Softwall or some other BSOD/NIX/NAT box, you would be correct, but as far as the linksys, enabling the DHCP is not needed to have assigned IP's sent to the clients on the network.

I used to think you had to run DHCP also, until I ran into problems with FXP, FTP, and online gaming, then I disabled it, and it ran fine. I also had to enable the BWR and SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection). But that is a whole new ball of wax there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back