Linksys and cable connection problem

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Well I have been beating my head into the wall for 3 weeks on this problem so hopefully you folks can help. The problem I am having is with the DHCP lease time. The current lease time is 24 hours. But everytime the lease expires I loose my network connection and have to reboot to restore it. I have tried the following to get rid of it: power cycling router, disconnecting cat6 cable, running IPconfig, and using the repair operation. All without effect.

let me give you my system and setup info.

I am running Win XP with a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC card connected to a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router (befsr41) connected to a RCA digital broadband modem.

My pc is a athlon xp 2100+ system with 512mb ram.

Anyone with any ideas?

Sorry I'm not a network wiz or anything but I just took a look at my befsr41 dhcp settings and the "client lease time" is set to 0 minutes, with a note that 0 "means one day". For what it's worth...

kip

Originally posted by jkipk
Sorry I'm not a network wiz or anything but I just took a look at my befsr41 dhcp settings and the "client lease time" is set to 0 minutes, with a note that 0 "means one day". For what it's worth...

kip

Yea I know there is no way to make it either infinte, or eliminate it all together. I think the problem is with Win XP, but I am not sure where or how to fix the problem, so I am hoping someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it.

Originally posted by Enyo
Do you actually require to use DHCP or would it be easier to manually configure addressing info for the problem system?

When you loose connection, do you get assigned any IP at all after the lease is renewed or does it go on a address starting 169 or 0.0.0.0 ? Is you firewall allowing DHCP/BOOTP traffic to the router? Remote port 67 and local port 68 both UDP.

Post the output from ipconfig /all for me.

When you loose connection are you sure its because of the lease expiring? What leads you to belive this?

Does a ipconifg /renew work?

Obtain Netdiag from the support tools cab file on the windows. It wont specifically test DHCP but all other aspects of you network. Note any failures from that if any and let me know.

The fact you have to reboot to renew the addressing info suggests that for some reason something running is stoppping the process from completing.

Check the event viewer for any errors that may releate to this issue also.

Ok, will do. BTW I can't find the NetDiag. Can you be more precise where to find that?

Also the reason I say that the problem has to do with the lease time is that when it stops responding to the network, I checked the connection statuses and it always happens right after the lease expiration.

ok thanks for the links, no I haven't updated the firmware in a while, so I will do that and see if it still happens. If it does I will post the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back