Linksys 8 Port Router vs. Linksys 8 Port Switch

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
OK, this is annoying.

I want to purchase a Linksys 8-Port Router, not a switch. How come the local stores, (Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Officemax) only carry switches? I don't want a switch gosh darnint, I want a router. I have found it at online vendors, but my client doesn't have a credit card, go figure.

WTF?

You buy it online and get the client to give you cash

Khayman said:
You buy it online and get the client to give you cash

Yeah, I know, that is what I am going to have to end up doing. But my problem, in this case, is my parents are out of town :)

I live in an apartment with my FIANCE, and we are both never home during the day. My mother, since she is retired, takes in all my packages at my old house and I pick them up the night they get there. They decided to go away (how inconsiderate) and no one is there to take them in. That's why I'm a little annoyed that places don't carry them.

I can understand, to a point, that they won't stock them in stores, but I was more shocked they dont have the option to keep it in a warehouse and have it shipped to a store like some other places do, or they would do if an item is out of stock.

Can't you get them to deliver to your workplace?
I'd do that here in the UK if no one is available to take in the package.

ming said:
Can't you get them to deliver to your workplace?
I'd do that here in the UK if no one is available to take in the package.

Well, I have a full-time job during the day, the other stuff is after hours/weekends freelancing. So no, I can't :)

no you don't. How could you hate someone you went to school with. :)
and like you im just trying to make some money. Thus the 10$ fee lol

celticfan11 said:
no you don't. How could you hate someone you went to school with. :)
and like you im just trying to make some money. Thus the 10$ fee lol

How about, since we went to school together, you divide by 100 and I'll give you a $0.10 fee :)

well if you seriously need me to, i can buy it if u give me $ to do so, and you want to drive to come get it. (meaning i do no work) :)

celticfan11 said:
well if you seriously need me to, i can buy it if u give me $ to do so, and you want to drive to come get it. (meaning i do no work) :)

Nah, I'm going to have Erica order it and ship it to her house back in Belchertown. I suppose I could have IMed you, would have been easier :)

ya but this is the NEW age, we use FORUMS now, not IM's

Phones<cell phone<IM<Forums

The Forum age is coming.

You don't really need that many ports for a router. If you want to connect client hosts, then it makes no sense to use a router. We have to remember that routers and switches are supposed to be used differently. Unless you need 8 different networks coming off from one router, why would you absolutely need an 8 port router?

Because I want one :)

I'm looking for a more cost effective solution than having a 4 port router and a switch connected to it. That's more hardware than I need, but normally, you would be correct.

I also want to go with the router for the built-in firewall solution.

Then get a dedicated router, just a router and then get a switch with as many ports as you want. You can buy a Cisco router really cheap on eBay. If it has the right IOS feature set (like firewalling), then it might be what you are looking for. If you know of a Cisco instructor, they also have access to all Cisco IOS' for free and you can ask them to get you a copy of an IOS with your desired feature set.

vern said:
Then get a dedicated router, just a router and then get a switch with as many ports as you want. You can buy a Cisco router really cheap on eBay. If it has the right IOS feature set (like firewalling), then it might be what you are looking for. If you know of a Cisco instructor, they also have access to all Cisco IOS' for free and you can ask them to get you a copy of an IOS with your desired feature set.

Right, but I can get a 8-port router for 79.99 from newegg, which is much cheaper and much easier :)

I was just complaining how no local stores carried it

I think having a 8 port router also cuts down on the cabling and the hardware, which is always good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back