Linking two wireless routers together?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Is it possible to connect two wireless routers together in the same way that computers join a wireless network?
Want to try creating two separate wireless LANs that shares one internet connection.

The only obvious that I know of would be to have a dedicated machine that run 24/7 and is connected wirelessly to the first wireless router, then link other computers in the second LAN through another wireless router.

I'd prefer it if this doesn't have to be the case as it'll mean wasting a lot of electricity (increased cost) in the long term.

The only way I can think of is to purchase a second Cable/DSL modem and connect it to the second router. The only issue with that is getting a unique IP address from your ISP, and you will probably have to pay more for it. The other way is what you mentioned, by Internet Connection sharing, using one of the PCs on the first network.

you can do this, connect a wireless bridge to the first wireless modem and a second bridge to the second modem, uplink port. but to be honest its a very shaky system doing that. OR just use a rj45 from say port one of wireless router 1 to the uplink or wireless router 2. they usually have 4 rj45 ports on them, this would be the better and cheaper way.

What i posted above does work well as i connected 10 bridges and 4 wireless routers together connect 56 pcs, for a warehouse/callcentre in liverpool a couple of years back. cost about 20k at the time. god it was complicated. :)

I don't want any cables involved which is why I asked specifically whether ot's possible to connect the two together wirelessly. :)

well then see what i said first. you'll need a bridge to do what you want.

i know what you said but forgot to input my question on it. lol :p

how do you bridge the two together??

EDIT: say two Linksys wrt54g routers.

Yup, bridge is the way to go. Some routers don't support this by default and would need a third-party firmware to do so.

What router(s) are you using ?

[edit] Arf, beaten to it. If you've got WRT54G's then Sveasoft firmware would be the way to go. Check out this page for downloads.

how do these bridge work in routers?

will it work if i had two different routers? like for example, a linksys wrt54g and a netgear 834g or any other routers?

yes it should,

basically you connect one bridge to the uplink, to the second router from the 1st and turn it to upload, its kinda complicated to explain here. well i guess i just explained it. :). i would by only 3com products for this. hope this makes sense.

linksys is the home arm of 3com, just like acura is the sports arm of honda, so no really the same.

But i see you point all the same :)

Has anyone used any of the updates from Speedy's link?
If so, what experiences have you had with the update?

ming said:
3com = linksys, linksys = 3com
You mean Cisco, right? Linksys has never been associated with 3Com. Anyway, bridging two access points together seems to be the most liable solution. I was about to suggest maybe getting some repeaters but I believe that requires them to be within at least minimal signal strength of one another.

Yup, I meant Cisco. :p
I don't think repeaters would be required. Just knowing how to link two wireless routers together is needed.
but want to know what people's experiences are with the links that Speedy has provided before I download/install it.

Can't help you on the firmware thing since a) I'm stuck in the past and still use 802.11b instead of g and b) I stay far far away from Linksys products.
As far as bridging two APs together, as far as D-Link is concerned, it's as simple as throwing one in Bridge mode and entering the other's MAC address. :)

I had this working with 2 wr850g's from motorolla.

Then one day the wireless light went out on the second one. I replaced it, uploaded my previously working configuration, after updating to the firmware I had been using, but it didn't work.

Gonna get another to see if that was just a dud.

I think most wireless routers can be configured as repeaters...call the tech support

ming said:
Yup, I meant Cisco. :p
I don't think repeaters would be required. Just knowing how to link two wireless routers together is needed.
but want to know what people's experiences are with the links that Speedy has provided before I download/install it.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back