Limiting Network Bandwidth

S

Space Guy

Hey guys

i wanted to know a way to limit the bandwidth that goes to the other computers thru the network.. may computer right now is the router and i dont want all my bandwidth going to her too.. limit it :p

Thx in advance :)

btw.. just registered

I dont think regular ICS can do that. 3rd Party proxy software may be able to, but i dont know any specfics.

JJB6486

If the other computer win XP pro, you can edit the policy of the computer under hardware settings (have not done it in a while), you will have a section called QOS (Quality of Service) you can limit the amount of bandwidth that system uses (in percentage) I have found that this works quite nicely. I don't remember the exact place to look for it, but it's no good to you if you are not using XP Pro. Let me know, and I will be able to help you out better.

Normal ICS doesn't support bandwidth limiting, JJB is correct about that, the above mention tip about QoS would only be if you are running QoS services and such and I do not believe it works to limit 2 comps connected together.

QoS is running by default in all versions of XP, and will actually hog whatever percentage of bandwidth you have it set for. The default is 10%. It could actually be used for the purpose at hand. Not the best, but it would be a workarround.

No thats not true about the QoS. It only works and on a QoS aware network with QoS aware apps.

XP is QoS aware, and it does have an impact on the network performance for the NIC that QoS is set on. Have done it.

Quality of Service Defined
Quality of Service is an industry-wide movement that achieves more efficient use out of network resources by differentiating between subsets of data. The IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) has played a central role in ensuring that QOS standards enable all affected network devices to participate in the end-to-end QOS-enabled connection.

Quality of Service provides applications (or network administrators) with a means by which network resources — such as available bandwidth and latency — can be predicted and managed on both local computers and devices throughout the network.

With such an all-network encompassing definition, QOS functionality requires cooperation among end nodes, switches, routers, and wide area network (WAN) links through which data must pass. Without some level of cooperation among those network devices, the quality of data transmission services can break down. In other words, if each such network device is left to make its own decisions about transmitting data, it would likely treat all data equally, and thus provide service on a first come–first served basis. Although this may be satisfactory in network devices or transmission media that are not heavily loaded, when congestion occurs, such service can delay all data. With this information, we can extend the definition of quality of service — it allows preferential treatment for certain subsets of data as they traverse any QOS-enabled part of (or devices in) the network.

Microsoft® Windows 2000® implements quality of service by including a number of components that can cooperate with (or invoke) one another. These components are found in DLLs, protocols, services, and individual network device functionality.

Quoted from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/qos/aboutgqos_3hk4.asp

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back