Limiting Bandwith

Akash

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey all

Can someone tell me if there is a way, and how, to limit bandwith to a computer.

I have a network LAN of 5 computers, including one machine that connects to the net via modem, that the other 4 machines connect through via ics/proxy.

Now one of the 4 machines is taking lots of bandwith due to downloads etc.
I dont want this.
I want to let him have x amount of bandwith to my choice so that he doesnt slow down the rest of the lan.

I you are using ICS you can't, no.

<side note>1000 posts!!! WOOHOO!!!</side note>

I was wondering about this myself. Isnt there a way to manually limit the d/l speeds on a computer??

you mean with all those mtu, rwin, max ttl, etc settings, theres nothing you can set on your computer to cap its speed?

hmm theres gotta be a way

ok if the 'regular ics' doesnt work, what is the solution?

Leedog: Well if you configure them badly enough it will affect performance, yes. But it's really a very bad idea.

akash: There are some ways. All of them are, as far as I know, "not worth it".
1. Proxy with bandwith limiting. Some proxy software can throttle the bandwith I think. But you don't want to use proxies. Trust me.
2. Windows 2000 Domain Server with QoS configured to throttle the bandwidth of certain workstations. I don't think I need to say why this is overkill.

If anyone know of a trick to get around it, I'll be happy to hear it! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back