Limiting bandwidth on a PC

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi,

I play counter-strike source a lot, but it gets very laggy when another PC uses the internet (even during normal browsing). there are 3 PCs in this network, all of them and the modem, 256k, connected to a hub. is there a way (prefer free/open source software) to limit the other two PCs to say 10kb/s?

thankyou :)

I can also vouch for Netlimiter having used it extensively, although it's not free it does work well.

thanks guys, i'll take a look.

still open to freeware though since i've found that for almost every task there is a freeware or open source alternative that closely matches if not betters the leading commercial applications. hopefully we'll find one :)

If you want a freeware option, you can take a look at traffic control monitor from the Windows Server 2003 resource kit tools.
never used it but looks promising

Version compatibility
Runs on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

Tcmon.exe is a tool for viewing and setting traffic control information for local or remote network adapters. The Traffic Control Monitor is a graphical user interface (GUI) tool that interacts with the Traffic Control application programming

reps coming

I don't know what they mean by "viewing and setting" but that looks like you can set the traffic as well

post back if you've tried this and that's what it can do

thanks indirect, seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. i'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes :)

OK i installed it on a PC, and i have two issues:

1. i don't know what any of the options really do

2. when searching for some explanations for some of the options i found this:

Some things to keep in mind about TCMon:

1. TCMon is a simple tool for testing purposes. Flows/filters created do not persist a reboot. To ensure that throttle rates and priorities for the flows/filters you create persist a reboot, you would have to write a TC application the plumbs your desired QoS flows at boot time. A simple search on MSDN for "traffic control" will get you started in the right direction.

i just tried netlimiter, it works a treat, but i'm still not sure whether i need it enough to pay ~$20 for it.

gotta love how it keeps the firewall/shaper service and client separate :)

i just tried netlimiter, it works a treat, but i'm still not sure whether i need it enough to pay ~$20 for it.

gotta love how it keeps the firewall/shaper service and client separate :)
it looks to me like the 20 bucks is a bargain in the time you're gonna save researching the free tool

I don't know anyone who's used it

first, a program would have to be qos aware for the tool to work

wait a bit, see if anyone has anything further to offer, it doesn't look to me like too many people have experience with the free tool though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back