LightScribe

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone heard of this technology yet? Apparently a DVD burner supporting LightScribe can etch labels into the disc using the same laser that writes the data. I found an article here about a Philips drive that supports it. The LightScribe main site is http://www.lightscribe.com/, of course. I'm not sure if blank media is available yet, but this seems like a pretty good alternative to magic markers or cd markers.

vivid

I think I saw a computer at the local Future Shop which had one, I believe it was a HP machine.

Seems like a good idea, cept from what I kno, you need to buy special disks which may or may not cost more.

Admiral Michael said:
Seems like a good idea, cept from what I kno, you need to buy special disks which may or may not cost more.

Yes, you will have to buy special discs and I'm sure they will cost more. But in time, it will go lower in price, as any new technology does.

On another note, LightScribe will now be supported by Nero 6. Read about it here.

vivid

yup comes with HP dvd writers. sounds like a good idea but it doens't interest me too much

The media is available. Someone had a pack on sale for $7.99. Can't remember whom. It was like a 3 pack or 5 pack of them.

very interesting and cool idea but this is what a marker is for

new meaning to dual-layer DVD's. lol. i wouldn't mind getting one of the drives if it could use standard DVD/CD media.

Major drawback. All you get is shades of silver. No colors. Might as well buy printable blank media and run it through a compatible inkjet.

Or just scan the original and print it on a paper label which is what I do. Just make sure there are no bubbles and you use a good quality label so the glue and acid in the paper don't attack the coating.

Lite-On and Phillips makes the drives. HP is a major backer.

Verbatim is the only company producing blanks at this moment in time.

I think it's a good idea but I think it will go much the way of Yamaha's T@2 technology.

wasn't T@2 basically the same exact thing as Lightscribe? cept maybe with a slight amount of color?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back