• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LightScribe

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone heard of this technology yet? Apparently a DVD burner supporting LightScribe can etch labels into the disc using the same laser that writes the data. I found an article here about a Philips drive that supports it. The LightScribe main site is http://www.lightscribe.com/, of course. I'm not sure if blank media is available yet, but this seems like a pretty good alternative to magic markers or cd markers.

vivid

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I think I saw a computer at the local Future Shop which had one, I believe it was a HP machine.

Seems like a good idea, cept from what I kno, you need to buy special disks which may or may not cost more.

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Admiral Michael said:
Seems like a good idea, cept from what I kno, you need to buy special disks which may or may not cost more.
Yes, you will have to buy special discs and I'm sure they will cost more. But in time, it will go lower in price, as any new technology does.

On another note, LightScribe will now be supported by Nero 6. Read about it here.

vivid

Major drawback. All you get is shades of silver. No colors. Might as well buy printable blank media and run it through a compatible inkjet.

Or just scan the original and print it on a paper label which is what I do. Just make sure there are no bubbles and you use a good quality label so the glue and acid in the paper don't attack the coating.

Lite-On and Phillips makes the drives. HP is a major backer.

Verbatim is the only company producing blanks at this moment in time.

I think it's a good idea but I think it will go much the way of Yamaha's T@2 technology.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oggeytom