Lightning - Direct Hit

cat826237

OSNN Addict
House took a direct hit, blew chimney apart. Lots of electronic things ruined. Computer has a problem with USB ports. All not working and no sound. Everything else seems to work. Would motherboard need replacing? DELL 1.8 Gig Dimension 8200 Pentium 4.

It's probably a good assumption that something needs to be replaced - if your USB /audio is onboard (part of the motherboard) then ... yes, it probably is damaged. BUT if your computer is booting, and running fine except for that, that is a good thing - few years back, lightning hit my house and blew apart the power unit in my computer ( :eek: )... Best thing I could suggest is to take it to a reputable computer shop somewhere, and have them asses the damage, make sure things are safe.

What hit your house?
Duh I just read title. Thought you lived in Baghdad or something, sorry to read this.

do an insurance job!!!!!! call it dead and get a new p4 3.4 extreme edition etc :cool: :p

First under windows system manager try uninstalling USB then reboot and it will reinstall (maybe). Then reload the MB drivers. If the USB is still dead your options are:

Go the insurnace root if possible.

For cheap, if everything else iss till working just buy a plug in USB card for a PCI slot ~$20 bucks.

It sounds like the lightning got in through any USB periopherals you had plugged in (like printer or scanner). EVERYTHING connected to the PC needs to be plugged into a good lightning surge protector strip. Preferably the same strip. Using two different strips can cause a differential voltage surge even if both strips stop the common mode lightning pulse.

LeeJend said:
EVERYTHING connected to the PC needs to be plugged into a good lightning surge protector strip. Preferably the same strip. Using two different strips can cause a differential voltage surge even if both strips stop the common mode lightning pulse.
If you get a strong enough pulse of lightning no surge protector you get out there is going to stop it from frying your stuff. Only sure way would be to unplug your system :(

Yeah, I'd try to go the Insurance route if possible, if not, is it still under warranty?

surge protectors are good, even if they fail, both of mine have a £35,000 conected equipment warrenty if they fail :cool:

It is still under warranty but worthless if it is caused by lightning. Have already got a new Dell and was planning on putting the old hard drive in it but the connections have changed! Got a lot of info that I need to transfer to the new drive. What's the best way to do this?

Lightning sucks dude. I've repaired my share of lightning damages computers. They usually don't smell so good... ;)

A UPS will do as well, plus you'll get battery backup during outages. They usually come with warranty for connected equipment. The value varies with the make and power of the UPS.

Xie said:
If you get a strong enough pulse of lightning no surge protector you get out there is going to stop it from frying your stuff. Only sure way would be to unplug your system :(

Well, I design aircraft power systems for a living and you're wrong. Flying through thunder storms is about as sporty as lightning gets.

A properly designed surge protector uses a power shunt that will fail shorted killing the strip but saving the PC. The shunt device has to be a leadless package to prevent L*dI/dt effects in the leads from developing sufficient voltage to defeat the shunt protection. You put a fusible link or magnetic circuit breaker (less effective but sexier) in series with the input circuit so that it vaporises before the shunt element is vaporized.

The cheapies (and incompetents) don't bother to do this properly so they are ineffective.

APC will replace your $1000 PC if their $15 power strip doesn't stop a surge.

But how much for a UPS that can do that LeeJend? I'm guessing you would need one thats geared more for business then for home use and costing a good penny.

i have a newpoint power surge.. i wonder if that is any good
i rem when i bought it said it would replace anything damaged up to something.

anyone else have htis brand. (i dont have a model number but i could take a pic if i had too lol)

I would say I would recommend a true UPS over a surge protector as brown outs can be just as deadly to your machine as a power surge and a surge protector does nothing for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back