Life sentence for cyber crimes.

P

Pastorn

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-944057.html?tag=fd_top

America looks more and more like a communist regime in the 50's or 60's than a free democracy. When will you ever learn that the people you really want (the real terrorists) doesn't care if you kill them or put them in prison for life. This law will only kill the integrity of your own citizens. Sometimes I wonder if your politicians is hand-picked from a mental institution, how the h*ll can you vote for such idiots?

Punishments for such crimes should be more strict. To go to prison for life for such a crime would have to include many counts. Hacking/computer fraud is a terrible crime and I am glad the United States is finally stepping up to the plate to try and knock it down. DoS attacks have cost me a lot of money and maybe now, sites such as this one won't have to go through it on a daily basis because of new laws like this.

Because in most cases you are going across state lines (or country borders) to do so, making it a federal issue.

Also, the Feds have jurisdiction over any cyber crime, making it a felony.

Originally posted by madmatt
Also, the Feds have jurisdiction over any cyber crime, making it a felony.

Yes but what's happening if the criminal is located in another country where the FBI has no jurisdiction? If I gained access to a military network located in the US and did some real damage, I don't think that my own government would have me delivered to an american trial if i faced a life sentence (I'm swedish). And countries like China, Iran and Pakistan where the real cyber terrorists are located doesn't care.

The US Gov't has jurisdiction where ever they want. They will find a way to get you. They have in the past and they will continue to do so.

I can think of a few cases right off the top of my head, "Analyzer" is one.

Most countries cooperate with the FBI. Additionally, your country would probably agree to have you tried locally. Especially if it is a NATO country or a country that recieves U.S. federal funding of any kind.:)

It's not foreign aide, it's just a bribe.

The US Gov't has jurisdiction where ever they want. They will find a way to get you. They have in the past and they will continue to do so.

I can think of a few cases right off the top of my head, "Analyzer" is one.

No, actually the FBI do not have jurisdiction where ever they want and nor does any other organization. They may find a way to get you, but don't flat out lie and say they have jurisdiction.

I remember one case where the FBI couldn't get to some hackers because they were situated in Russia, and the Russian goverment didn't give a damn. Nevertheless, they tricked them into travelling to the USA for an alleged hackers' meeting, which was a total sting operation. They then could be successfully tried and convicted in court, which they were.

Punishments for such crimes should be more strict.

What's more strict than going to prison for life? And don't even mention the death penalty, because that is ******* evil and many lawfully good citizens of the US won't allow it.

And if you haven't noticed, I totally object to your opinion. No offence. :)

Originally posted by catch23
...I think the death penalty ought to be given more often.....

You kill someone purposely and you deserve it.

And what of the people that purposely kill the person that has purposely killed ;). Shouldn't they also be killed because, by your terms, they deserve it. It would be a ficious cycle, and 2 wrongs do not make a right, nor would 3, 4, 5, etc.

If your views might have derived from thinking that retribution is the key, I'd just like to say that the phrase an eye for an eye came from a much more primitive age.

Just look at texas highest death sentence rate and concealed weapons are legal..low rate of homicides burglaries muggings...etc etc etc...you dont mess with anyone cause you dont know who is armed. =)

Quote: "I think the death penalty ought to be given more often.....

You kill someone purposely and you deserve it."

Agreed. Although, I never believed in the electric chair. The electric bench would of been more appropriate.:D

Originally posted by catch23
If two wrongs don't make a right....then why do two negatives make a positive...

OMG, how can you compare a mathematical coincidence to real life situations? That's truly juvenile.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back