LG 8320B CDRW Firmware Prob

R

RobbieSan

hi everyone. Merry xmas to all!!

Okay, I am trying to update the firmware on my LG8320B CDRW (32/10/40) from the original version (1.01) to (1.04). I have followed the instructions to install LG firmware to the letter but it will not update for some reason.

I have made sure I have the cdrw as master on the secondary channel with no other devices on the chain. I have tried booting up with a minimal boot (WinMe boot disk) and also with cdrom support but the program will not update the firmware.

Has anyone else experienced problems with this drive and or firmware? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Also, is there a way to check the firmware version in windows (XP Pro) or BIOS or something?

1) try a 98 boot disk
2) any cd burning software should show you the firmware rev #

thanks for tips dreamliner.. I tried a 98SE bootdisk but the same thing happens.. I get the feeling the drive is hooped.. I can't get through a recording session without rebooting.. sometimes it's 3/4 through, sometimes only 1/4 but reboots..

I can see in Nero it is still at 1.01 so the update didn't happen for sure..

Just a stupid thought...

You sure your floppy drive is good? I've had one go once and was cursing everyother piece of equipment in my machine.

Also, maybe try downloading the firmware again.

and, Is your drive a "purebred" or something rebadged?

the floppy drive is working okay so that's not it.. I did d/l the firmware again but no go.. not sure what to do.. I sent a message to LG tech support but it will be a few more days before they get back to me.. worse comes to worse I'll just spend $100 on a new one..

thanks for the help dreamliner77

just out of curiosity, why are you trying to update the firmware? Is there a problem?

I'd suggest to try to get this drive to work.

I have a LG 8120B and I think it is one of the best burners ever made. I have never burned a coaster that wasn't because of user error. 3500 burns and still going strong...

I'm trying to update the BIOS since I think it may have gotten messed up a little while ago.. it won't get through a complete burn at all.. my system reboots x amount of time into a burn.. I have tried a fresh XP install with and without SP1 to be sure and it's the same thing.. I was hoping I could flash the firware to the latest version in hopes of solving this problem..

here's an update for anyone else with a similar problem.. I haven't managed to update the firmware yet and have received no response from LG support yet.. hopefully soon...

I was having problems with my cdrom as well.. couldn't install UT2003.. it would have a critical error on a certain file.. I figured the cd was bad.. tried it in my friend's PC and it installed fine.. further reading in the Infrogrames forum found a solution..

I opened up device manager > IDE controllers > secondary (for cd and rw) > changed mode to PIO from DMA.. now both cd and rw are working great.. hopefully this info will help others...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back