LF A Way

M

MonthOLDpickle

To access a PC that doesn't have a Moniter, Mouse, or Keyboard attached to it w/ Windows XP Pro SP2 on it.

With a laptop that has windows media center 2005 (windows xp pro SP2 sometime in the future).

I heard of something with anywhere, googled that but came with too many results.

~Pickle

So I have to buy the PCanywhere and the PCanywhere host?

Oo

Yeah, I would recommend using VNC. It works great and it's free.

I think there are free products, let me see what I can find. PC Anywhere is considered the best.

If you had XP Pro on the laptop you could use the remote access function to take over the desktop.

Note You will have to have a keyboard and monitor to install and set up the desktop. Any time the desktop crashes you may need the keyboard and monitor again to restart the system.

Google time.
http://www.tightvnc.com/

You CAN use the Windows Remote Desktop component. Firstly you only need Pro on the computer you want to take control of, the client can be XP Home, 2000 or 98.

When using 2000 or 98 insert the XP disk into the drive, when the menu pops up click "Perform Additional Tasks" then "Setup Remote Desktop Connection" and it will install the Remote Desktop Client.

To use Home simply goto Start>Accessories>Communication>Remote Desktop Connection and enter the IP of the computer you want to take over.

Just remember to first enable remote desktop on the Pro machine, It's under Start>Control Panel>System>Remote Tab and put a check beside "Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this Computer"

That should be it. If you want to use Remote Desktop outside your LAN then post back and I/we can help you with that.

You CAN use the Windows Remote Desktop component. Firstly you only need Pro on the computer you want to take control of, the client can be XP Home, 2000 or 98.

When using 2000 or 98 insert the XP disk into the drive, when the menu pops up click "Perform Additional Tasks" then "Setup Remote Desktop Connection" and it will install the Remote Desktop Client.

To use Home simply goto Start>Accessories>Communication>Remote Desktop Connection and enter the IP of the computer you want to take over.

Just remember to first enable remote desktop on the Pro machine, It's under Start>Control Panel>System>Remote Tab and put a check beside "Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this Computer"

That should be it. If you want to use Remote Desktop outside your LAN then post back and I/we can help you with that.

Yea I will be setting up the PC with moniter attached and what not. Its not going to be hidden in some corner. Just under mydesk. Moniter and everythign else will be connected to a docking station. The PC has about 500g of space which is why I am tying to keep the PC running on the network.

I just need to buy another XP Pro & get this remote thing to work.

well crap, if it is that close, just get a KVM switch.

well crap, if it is that close, just get a KVM switch.

Yea I am not very computer savy..what? Well I have to goto school so I try to find time to google that there.

It is a device that allows you to control more than one computer with 1 mouse, 1 monitor, 1 keyboard. quite useful actually.

or just use remote desktop :)

Faster than VNC
More secure than VNC
Comes with XP by default :)

There's a remote desktop enabler out there too. As long as the firewall on the target machine is disabled.

I'd have to go with Remote Desktop too, I use it all the time to fix computers.

Why do you need another XP Pro, I thought the "file server" machine has XP Pro already?

Worth pointing out there is no File Transfer client for Remote Desktop. If they are connected on the network you could map drives, but I would also suggest PcAnywhere as it is more secure than Remote Desktop.

I believe they have a few options, the Host, the Remote, and a package that has both. You could buy one host and one remote if desired, it will lower your cost in the end.

What do you mean no file transfer client KC? You can map local drives (look under the Remote Desktop Client settings) which basically allows you to access the client drives from the remote computer.

You don't need PCAnywhere for a home network. That would be a waste of money. RDC/RDP works very well and you can map local disk drives when you connect to the remote computer.

Start
Run
mstsc

To connect with full administrator rights:

Start
Run
mstsc /console

EDIT:
If you need to download the client for an OS other than Windows XP or Windows Server 2003...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

Last edited:
Yea I would use a VNC option. I currently have the same setup as you do MonthOLDpickle and I would just recommend RealVNC for you. My server is near my daily use computer so whenever I need to set something up on my server for download (for example) I just use RealVNC to tap in and view the desktop from there. Allowing me to get into the server this way has provided me with a free & easy solution. You should give it a try it is so easy to setup also. Hope this helps

I use remote desktop since its built into XP Pro (server) and Home (client), it doesn't require any extra processes or programs to be installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back