Lexmark X73 & WindowsXP

T

tobydog27

I have a Lexmark X73, All-in-one, printer and scanner.

Since upgrading to Windows XP, if I do not turn on the X73 before opening Windows XP and keep it switched on until I shut down Windows XP
the next time I switch on the computer, my USB port says unkown device.

I then uplug the power supply to the X73 and then re-connect the power supply and the X73 is then recognised once again.

Can anyone help with this problem please!

I then uplug the power supply to the X73 and then re-connect the power supply and the X73 is then recognised once again.

To clarify: you do this when XP is up and running and then it recognizes your device ok? It doesn't work by just turning the printer on? Or do you have to unplug, turn it on, and reboot to get it to recognize?

A lot of people have been having issues with USB devices in XP. You might try looking for BIOS updates and other USB driver info/updates from your m/b manufacturer.

X73

Hi Lonman,
Thanks for the interest.

Yes it only works by reomoving the power cable to the printer.
Switching the printer on/off does not work.
I take this action when the computer is running.

I have read all I can at usbman.com.......this is an excellent site for USB problems.....but mine is different.

As long as I switch on my printer before starting XP and only switch off the printer after closing XP I don't have a problem.

I'd suggest going to your m/b manufacturers site and getting the newest bios and drivers for your board. Get that done and if the problem is still there i'd call Lexmark and see if this is a recurring problem and if a fix is available. Other then that i really wouldn't know what else to suggest. A damn nuisance though, in my opinion, when this sort of stuff doesn't work right. I hope you can get it fixed. good luck.

Problem fixed

Hi Lonman,
Thank you for your suggestions, but the problem is now fixed.

I un-enabled the bi-directional cable in printer properties and now the problem has gone.

You always leave the simple things until last.

The X73 is working very well, no more unpluging the power cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back