Left over parts and such

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I'm putting together my roommates new system tonight. Its going to fly if it works. The problem is IF. He's got as ATX 2.0 PSU, its got the 24 pin connector which I hooked to the board, a 4 pin that is also attached to the board and a mystery 8 pin that goes nowhere. The manual says its for PCI Express, but I cant see any hook ups for it. The cards (2x 6600GT) have no connectors, which I thought they were supposed to so I'm not sure if is just there "in case" or what. Also he's got a SATA hd ... and no jumper on the back of it, the pins are there but no rubber thingy. It's been nearly a year since I hooked up my SATA hd and I can't remember is this is correct or not. He got OEM parts instead of retail so that could explain it. I'm just not sure about it, I'd hate to destroy a bunch of equipment over something dumb like that. Any ideas?

BouncingSoul said:
I'm putting together my roommates new system tonight. Its going to fly if it works. The problem is IF. He's got as ATX 2.0 PSU, its got the 24 pin connector which I hooked to the board, a 4 pin that is also attached to the board and a mystery 8 pin that goes nowhere. The manual says its for PCI Express, but I cant see any hook ups for it. The cards (2x 6600GT) have no connectors, which I thought they were supposed to so I'm not sure if is just there "in case" or what. Also he's got a SATA hd ... and no jumper on the back of it, the pins are there but no rubber thingy. It's been nearly a year since I hooked up my SATA hd and I can't remember is this is correct or not. He got OEM parts instead of retail so that could explain it. I'm just not sure about it, I'd hate to destroy a bunch of equipment over something dumb like that. Any ideas?

well my harddrives are in raid0 and niether have a jumper. i think you can manually set it with sata in the bios or it will do it for you.

what do you mean the video cards have no hookups?

I double checked a couple 6600GT cards and none of them have the extra power connectors. The 6600 is a "low power" video card so it doesn't need the extra connector. Also, I beleive PCI express provides more power through the motherboard (extra pins). So you're safe there.

Did he get the SLI connector that attaches across the tops of the 2 cards? I think it is supposed to come with the MB but if he bought all OEM he may not have gotten it.

I haven't done SATA yet so no idea what you're talking about.

I mean the video cards go into the pci express slots and that it. There is no power connection on the cards, which I was lead to believe is wrong since they "need" power directly from the PSU. Also since I posted the lead topic I have tried to power it on. The system led's flash and the fans spin once but then nothing. I have no idea whats going on.

Try power on with just CPU, HSF and power supply connected.

If it still does not power on then loosen the screws on the MB and make sure the screw heads are centered on the pads provided on the MB if they are off center re-align the MB. Also check that the CPU HSF is plugged in and working. Automatic shutdown on loss of CPU fan could be messing you up.

If it does start shut down and insert ram, try again. If it doesn't start shut down and try with just one stick of know good ram.

If it does start, shutdown and install one video card in the first pci slot. Start up and see if it posts. If it doesn't post try the other video cadr or a knwon good video card in slot one.

If it did start attach one HD and check if still starts.

Keep doing this one item at a time until you get it all up or isoalt the bad part.

Oh god .... Did as you said Lee. Got everything disconnected but the same thing happens. The case fans spin once and the led's flash but that's it. I'm thinking it could be a bad PSU, which would be the cheapest thing to fix, but I don't know.

EDIT

The PSU fan and chipset fan spin once. The CPU fan doesn't move. I tried to connect the CPU fan to a different connector (the one NOT labeled CPU Fan) and it causes the CPU fan to spin with the rest but it still stops immediately.

EDIT #2

Called ASUS. They had me take out the CPU and try with the just MB. I got the same results, the dude at ASUS said the it could be the PSU cause one of the apperages was low (14A I think) but other than that it could be "grounding" or something, he said try to take the board out and power up, see if its the PSU. I could do this .... If I had any idea's how to powerup a system with no MB. I'm really out of ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back