leaving ipod in car/heat??

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
i leave my ipod in my glove compartment in my car, is that okay?? i mean when i get in i take it out and it feels burning hot but would that be better than just leaving it out on the seat directly in the sun? give me yalls opinion. and fyi it's usually never hotter than the 90's where i live

well...... honestly i don't know if it'd be THAT damaging or not..... but in the long run it probably wouldn't be too good for it if it's burning hot. Why do ya leave it in your car anyway?

According to Apple's website on batteries, "storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly." I've heard that the glove compartment can act as an oven, reaching temperatures even higher than the interior of the car.

The temperature where you live may not exceed the 90s (the iPod's maximum operating temperature is 95), but cars can get much hotter than the outside temperature and that heat poses a definite threat to your iPod battery, even when just being stored.

If I had to leave my iPod in my car, I'd hide it under a seat or lock it in the trunk.

Good luck,

pk

To behonest i would NOT leave it anywhere near 90º. I left mine in the coin thing inbetween seats in my xterra and i guess it go so hot it ended up over heating the ipod and i had to reset it. So just warning you on that one, it also doesn't like the really cold because the lcd starts to freeze or something (at least what i was told) so treat you ipod like a newborn baby or a really old frail man and you should be ok with it.

I wouldn't leave it in the car in the first place - do you live somewhere where people are so rich and no one wants an IPOD? :eek: Leave one out in the car here and in 5 minutes it's gone, as long as one of your windows.

I remember reading in the manual that if you store it in a temperature greater than 30 degrees celsius, then the battery's life will shorten. The same is true if you store it in a place that is below 20 degrees celsius.

So yeah, that is bad thing, and your battery is probably already damaged :p

it hasn't been too hot recently. well this blows cuz now i guess i'll have to take my ipod inside and outside everytime i want to use it...errr

***runs to car quickly

I left my cash card on my passenger seat the other day.
Its now S shape =/

eeh..... dunno if it'd be able to do anything to the hard drive. i mean... if the heat got THAT bad to warp metal.... or whatever those laptop hard drives use for data storage...... then it's pretty damn hot and YOU problably shouldn't even be outside.

music man why are you leaving this in your car in the first place, where are you going that you cannot take it, if you must leave it in the car, buy one of those small cooler bags for ten bucks with the foil lining and leave it in there perhaps with a small freezer pack even.

Secondly if its 90 degrees outside the car interior can in fact reach 120 degrees and the glove compartment upto 130, so that is far exceeding the spec.

by a cheap thermometer and leave it in the car, go back at lunch as see what the difference is in the car to out, you'll be amazed.

ya i don't leave it in my car anymore. its a hassle bringing it in and out so i just leavei t @ home. too bad though, i really liked using itrip everyday when i drove

ElementalDragon said:
eeh..... dunno if it'd be able to do anything to the hard drive. i mean... if the heat got THAT bad to warp metal.... or whatever those laptop hard drives use for data storage...... then it's pretty damn hot and YOU problably shouldn't even be outside.

C'mon, we all know that heat is the #1 enemy of harddrives.

are you seriously telling me that you don't take a 5 ounce piece of hardware with you not because you don't want to use it, but because you find it a hassle.... how do you get through life? :)

lancer said:
are you seriously telling me that you don't take a 5 ounce piece of hardware with you not because you don't want to use it, but because you find it a hassle.... how do you get through life? :)

well i go in and out of the car a lot so that would be a lot of carrying to do plus i already have to take my celly,wallet and keychain everywhere so its just a hassle....maybe when you are older you will understand young chap

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back