Learning Linux

L

Luna64

Could someone point me in the direction of some good site(s) or book(s) that help teach noobs how to use Linux.

I have Mandrake and Slackware (but I can't get slackware to install on my PC) and I can't figure out how to use it. I installed Mandrake twice, but when it came to using commands and things like that I did not know what to do.

So any info on the matter would be great. Even if it's a book that costs money, I would be intrested in buying it.

I have tried really hard to learn how to use this OS, but I just can't seem to figure it out :(

Slackware is not for you... Trust me on this... if you cant get a distro like mandrake to run dont even bother with slackware. slackware is meant for developers and does not contain any fancy interface. Go with Red Hat 8... Thats the easiest distro to learn... But to run slackware would be a waste of time for you if u cant run a simple distro.

I would go with RedHat or Mandrake. Both very easy to install.

Here are some links you will want !!!

one

two <--- can download redhat here. Need a cd-burner

three <---- can download mandrake here. Need a cd-burner

four <--- this one has a forum like NTFS.org

:happy:

A pretty good site for more detailed information is the Linux Documentation Project found at http://www.tldp.org/

p.s. Stick to Mandrake or Redhat, you can't go wrong (in my opinion)

TonyO [TOK]

Originally posted by Quantum Thunder
Slackware is not for you... Trust me on this... if you cant get a distro like mandrake to run dont even bother with slackware.

Slackware is not as tough as you make it out to be. And I am not trying to put you down, but Mandrake ran fine on my PC. Slackware would not run due to hardware issues.

I never said I could not install them

Plus I was asking for sites on the basics of Linux, so your post was not very helpfull. In fact it did not help me in the slightest.

I don't recall, but is it possible to install Linux on the same HD as XP and not have to reinstall XP ?

Sorry, but it's been a long time and I don't remember some of this stuff.

i recently set up my system to dual boot xp pro and mandrake 9.0.

i highly recommend setting up linux on another hdd, if you can spare it. makes things a lot easier.

Get The linux book for newbies, or something like it, its a really good book, and i like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back