LCD Monitor Resolution question

R

ronenph1

Hi guys

I own a 15" LG LCD monitor. The maximal resoluiton I can use is 1024 * 768.
Is there a way to adjust the maximum resolution? Does someone know?

And another question: Does it harm\damage the LCD Monitor if I change the maximum resolution?

Please help

You cant "Change" the maximum resolution of your monitor unfortunately, well, at least i have never heard of a way to do it.

What you might not know is that you may be able to goto a higher resolution if you drop your refresh rate right down. But this all depends on your monitor and presumes that the highest resolution on yours isnt 1024x768.

I presume that you would be running 1024x768 at around 85hz, if you wanted to goto 1280x1024 try setting your monitor to 60hz and see if it works. But this could hurt your eyes after a while.

Your maximum proably is 1024x768, but tell us the model number of it and we can look it up to see if it can go higher.

*Whooops - Just spotted your sig - looking it up now...:eek:

Sorry ronenph1,
Your max is 1024x768 according to tomshardware....
You can see for yourself
Here

I can push my 17" CRT to 2048x1536, but I'm not sure how an LCD would cope with being pushed over it's limit. It's generally not recommended as there's a possability of damaging it etc..

I'd be interested to hear if LCDs can go higher though.. :)

15" TFT monitors can only go upto 1024x768 as far as I know.
I would be VERY surprised if there are ones with higher limit.

After installing the ATi Catalysts for my Mobility Radeon, I can go upto 2048x1536 on my 14.1" XGA TFT (which has a native resolution of 1024x768) :p
The screen can handle it just fine, except that you have to scroll to get the extra screen space...kinda like in Starcraft and other similar games where the whole screen moves when you move to the edge. :)

I was under the impression that you should always set your screen resolution to the native LCD resolution so 1 "software" Windows pixel = 1 "hardware" LCD pixel for maximum clarity. Setting to any other value would cause text and graphics to appear, for lack of better words, funky.

I've seen this at places like Bestbuy or CompUSA where they have several LCDs of different sizes (and native resolutions) fed from one source (therefore at one specific resolution). I find that certain size LCDs, whose native resolution matches the Windows resolution, look crisper than other sizes where the resolutions do not match.

Originally posted by NetRyder
After installing the ATi Catalysts for my Mobility Radeon, I can go upto 2048x1536 on my 14.1" XGA TFT (which has a native resolution of 1024x768) :p
The screen can handle it just fine, except that you have to scroll to get the extra screen space...kinda like in Starcraft and other similar games where the whole screen moves when you move to the edge. :)

This is true for most monitors, however, I'm sure people would hate to see the screen moving around like that - that's why the manufacturers state a maximum resolution for the monitor of 1024x768.

I have a 19 crt and I need a magnifiing glass to read the screen at anything higher than 1280 X 1024.

Originally posted by wingman411
I have a 19 crt and I need a magnifiing glass to read the screen at anything higher than 1280 X 1024.
do what jonges suggested.

if your 19-inch lcd has a native resolution of 1600x1200, then set it to that and your picture quality will be much better. you can make all your text and icons bigger through windows.

It is like scriptasylum said, one LDC will only display one pixel. Hence, it is IMPOSSIBLE to display more pixels on a native 1024 * 768 LDC screen, unless you want to go NetRyder's way, and scroll the whole visible screen. You will also notice it is impossible if you lower your resolution, the sceen will get smaller at about 800*600, for example...

There is nothing you cn do, except buy a new LCD screen. (even worse if you laptop resulution sucks.... that's why I have a 1400*1050 resolution on my 14.1'' laptop sceen - great!)

Sorry, mate!
EJ :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back