LCD monitor for gaming??

M

mavis

Hi guys!

I am looking at building a new system, and I think I want to go LCD/TFT for my monitor. What I was wondering is, do any of you use LCD's for gaming? What are your opinions? I've read about unacceptable pixel delays, I think the model I'm looking at has 25ms delay - is that decent?

Actually, here is the one I'm looking at, the Syncmaster 171T. I can't seem to find any reference to it on cnet or even Samsung's website, but then again it may be just an Asian model (so it wouldn't be on their USA site...) - I don't know if any of you can speak or read japanese :) but here is the spec page from samsung.co.jp - does this look like a decent monitor, just going by the specs? I know the 170T got GREAT reviews in America, but this one looks a bit different ...

Here's the link...

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!!

mavis

I actually enjoy LCDs. They are easier to look at and have much a much crisper display.

Honestly, there are a ton of LCD formats, XGA, UXGA, etc, but the only thing that really matters is this:

Passive Matrix and Active Matrix

This is probably what you are referring to.

Passive Matrix uses a passive scan. Its almost like looking at a virtual desktop that is sending you screenshots every second. Moving the mouse brings forth a delay. You have to wait a bit for the display to catch up with the input you give it.

Active Matrix uses an active scan. There is no delay between your input process and the screen.

You want an Active Matrix TFT display.

Here is what i heard about LCD screens. They are horrible for gamers. This is because the delay is too much and you have ghosting. Thats like... when a game gover over 40 fps or so...then the images will start to trail. Please correct me if im wrong

I'm playing Counter Strike on an LCD. Looks good to me.

how many fps?, whats ur graphics card? and what lcd screen do u have

Originally posted by Reg
I'm playing Counter Strike on an LCD. Looks good to me.

What, On your Notebook? (I'm lookin at your posted specs in your sig.)

There is pixel delay and ghosting on LCD/TFT monitors.

And Mavis, you do alot of Graphics and imaging don't you? They are not recomended for serious graphics.

Check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/lcd-03.html

Depends..

On how picky about image quality you are.. I think LCDs on gaming are ok if you are willing to get used to some blurring and lack of image quality. I cant, so I bought a 19" regular monitor.
Lucifer

I bought a mag innovision from best buy. 17 inches, LCD and i love it. picture is great for games and normal use. crisp picture model number LT765

Originally posted by gonaads

What, On your Notebook? (I'm lookin at your posted specs in your sig.)

No, on an LCD monitor. I have one, it's just not in my sig (my sig is sort of old). I don't play games on my notebook.

thanks for the replies, guys...

I still don't know what to get. The LCD is appealing because of its size, obviously, but also becasue I hate (read: FRIGGIN HATE!!) geometry errors, and every single CRT I've ever owned has had them. The LCDs of course have perfect geometry ... Anyway, any other thoughts? I mean, if the delay time of that LCD is 25ms, how bad could it be??

:D

mavis

Originally posted by WuGgaRoO
Here is what i heard about LCD screens. They are horrible for gamers. This is because the delay is too much and you have ghosting. Thats like... when a game gover over 40 fps or so...then the images will start to trail. Please correct me if im wrong

[correct]
I love my LCD monitor :) games look great on it and I never have problems with trails or ghosting or low FPS. I play games with 40-200FPS and the higher, the better.
[/correct]

I think the problem with most LCD monitors is the refresh rate. i use mine at 1280x1024x32 with 72 refresh rate (it used to get bumped down to 60 cause of the nvidia bug but thats fixed now).

Originally posted by Shawn319

[correct]
I love my LCD monitor :) games look great on it and I never have problems with trails or ghosting or low FPS. I play games with 40-200FPS and the higher, the better.
[/correct]

I think the problem with most LCD monitors is the refresh rate. i use mine at 1280x1024x32 with 72 refresh rate (it used to get bumped down to 60 cause of the nvidia bug but thats fixed now).

Awesome. So if the LCD I want to buy lists its vertical refresh as 56-85Hz, do I just take the average?? :)

mavis

btw, mine is a "Thin Film Transistor Active Matrix Liquid Crystal Display"

Originally posted by mavis

Awesome. So if the LCD I want to buy lists its vertical refresh as 56-85Hz, do I just take the average?? :)

mavis

Well I think differant resolutions let you use differant refresh rates. I love the 1280x1024x32 resolution and it lets me use 72MHz refresh rate. it would probably be best if you went to a store (best buy, circuit city, compusa, ect) and ask someone what the resolutions are and what refresh rates work for those. (higher is better, try not to go under 60-70). screen size is another factor u need to look at because bigger monitors get higher resolutions (i think). mine is 18.1''.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back