Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820, precision m90

Damn ugly too, more of a pc to take round for a lan party and even then only if you are lazy :p

Sazar said:
The 420 does not have a built-in optical drive. It will still have the same d-bay that the X-1 comes with.

Physically they are almost the same except for the shell material. Primary differences will be procs and video and some additional features.

Welcome to OSNN :)

i was also told it will fit on the same docks as the 6xx and 8xx series.

The d-series docks are supposed to be universal so yes, it SHOULD :D

Shame the X-1 didn't - hadn't seen it before and thought it was great.
Obviously now as powerful, but more ideal for the reason we need laptops here anyway.

420 will be between the x-1 and 410 in size I am told.

It has the same general chassis as the x-1.

Remember, the X-1 was not "designed" by Dell. I believe asus or someone else had a similar design and Dell sourced it and then obviously implemented it's own features and improvements.

The 410 is a standard 4:3 aspect ration, the 420 is widescreen just like the x-1.

Does anyone know the video resolution specs for the 420 yet? I'd like to get the 12" form factor but the 1024x768 just doesn't cut it for me these days.

TIA

1024x768 is not widescreen.

1280x768 is what the D-420 should be.

Sazar said:
The 420 does not have a built-in optical drive. It will still have the same d-bay that the X-1 comes with.

Physically they are almost the same except for the shell material. Primary differences will be procs and video and some additional features.

Welcome to OSNN :)
I wonder why they don't bite the bullet and include optical. I think the majority of users would trade a slight increase in thickness for it.

I've always bought Latitudes, but I had to go with an Inspiron 700m as my current machine for that very reason. Can't wait till they update the 710m with dual core.

ticeton said:
I wonder why they don't bite the bullet and include optical. I think the majority of users would trade a slight increase in thickness for it.

I've always bought Latitudes, but I had to go with an Inspiron 700m as my current machine for that very reason. Can't wait till they update the 710m with dual core.
What good is a mobile PC if you dont have an optical drive?

Movies, games, hello!?

GEN3RIC said:
What good is a mobile PC if you dont have an optical drive?

Movies, games, hello!?

Dell offers mobile notebooks with optical drives, take not of the Inspiron 710m. Movies, games, hello !? taken care of.

The Latitude series is more for business people and there are plenty of people out there who routinely travel and don't need or care for an optical drive for an ultra-portable.

Keep in mind that plenty of other name-brand manufacturers have sub 3lb notebooks w/o an optical drive. There is a reason it is removed.

I had my own eye on an X-1 till the 420 was announced and I will get one once I have enough dough saved up. I don't need an optical drive for my notebook, my home network and my d'top will take care of anything I need a more capable system for. The 420 would just be my portable.

Essentially, Dell caters to customers who DO want an included optical drive. Just not on their ultra-portable.

Truth.. I guess there is a situation when I would really dislike an optical drive and treasure the portability.

No word on the actual announcement? it was supposed to be a day ago already! :)

Sazar said:
Dell offers mobile notebooks with optical drives, take not of the Inspiron 710m. Movies, games, hello !? taken care of.

Keep in mind that plenty of other name-brand manufacturers have sub 3lb notebooks w/o an optical drive. There is a reason it is removed.

710 isn't dockable.

410 isn't sub 3lb. It's just a little lighter then sony SZ series with 13,3" and an optical drive.
Is 420 a sub 3 lb l'top?

It's a consumer product. You can use a port replicator or an advanced port replicator. Same difference when combined with a notebook stand. Whether it takes a dock or not is not such a big deal since there are multiple items on the market that provide expandability.

X-1 is sub 3lbs and the 420 will be the same.

Both should be approx 2.5lb's.

Hello Everyone, I am a new member, you can call me tahir as that is my real name but i am also exciting at the prospect of the new latitude range. I hope the dell latitude d420 has a ATI/NVIDIA graphics card rather than the integrated card. The pictures of the new range look sleek, professional and very durable. I hope the d620, d820 and precision m90 have also support for HSDPA, and all in 5 - 1 memory card reader.

The new line-up should include discrete graphics to be able to run Vista with more features.

The memory card reader option though is dependent on the system.

To Sazar, do you have any idea what integrated graphics they will be using in the latitude d420? and also the d620 what are the specifications? and i heard that the m90 has a 17" screen but is there any update to the precision m70 with a 15.4" screen and finally one more question when is Dell officially going to announce the new range?

I presume it will be nvidia but I don't know for sure. I know the m90 is going to be the 512mb nvidia quadro.

620 should be announced and in wide-production by april/may.

God, I can't wait to see that 20" lappy - simply amazing.

Will they be releasing backpacks for that model do you know?

It's an all-in-one package. When it folds, its like a briefcase so you don't need a case.

That's pretty sweet. I had an XPS not too long ago, the backpack was a nice addition :)

Thx for the info :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back