Largest Hard Drive

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political Access
What is the largest Hard Drive a Compaq Presario 1260 laptop can handle (333MHz K6/2, circa 1998)? I'm looking for at least 10GB. It has a 3.9GB HDD in it now, but when I install XP (which runs suprisingly well) it takes up a significant chunk of that 3.9GB. I also tried Windows 2000, but because of a FPU bug in early K6/2 CPUs it runs dog slow (XP compensates correctly for it). Anyone know what the largest size (Space, in GB) drive this computer can handle is?

JJB

I looked around for a while and found nothing.
Try calling HP/Compaq and asking.
+ you can always get a usb storage device.

Most likely that the largest drive you could put in that system is a 30 gig. So a 10 gig should not be a problem as far as the BIOS goes which is the limiting factor in this case. I'm not totally sure on that max size but based on what I know about computers that is pretty close to the largest you can put in.

try using a pci hdd controller or somethin?? that way u can use as big as the controller will handle... plus, it'll run at the correct speed - ata133 etc

Posted by jonocainuk
try using a pci hdd controller or somethin?? that way u can use as big as the controller will handle... plus, it'll run at the correct speed - ata133 etc
Not many laptops with a free PCI port... ;)

rofl... ignore my last comment.
i didnt read the word "laptop" lol

/me is a fool :p

Well i ordered a 10GB Fujitsu ($70) drive from Directron.com. Another site had a Compaq specific 10GB upgrade for my model number (but it was $275). So i'm fairly sure that a 10GB will work, and its more then enought space.

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back