Laptops? Insight wanted :)

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
I am currently in the process of selling a few items (read: alot) so that i may be able to afford a laptop. I may or may not sell my desktop as part of this, but that decision will be made when other pending decisions are confirmed/denied.

What i want in a laptop is "basically" the following;
  • 15.4" Widescreen display
  • around 512MB Ram
  • CD/RW DVD-Rom
  • 802.11g connectivity
  • flexibility (as much linux compatibility as possible)
  • around 2/3hrs minimum battery life

Obviously i dont want to spend too much, preferably around £700. What i was looking at as a possibility was the Dell Inspiron 6000, i have been considering buying one for a while but never bothered to get any further than just considering. Does anyone either have this laptop or can provide some information on its compatibility with linux?

If you have any other suggestions on laptops too look into for around that price range then please let me know. But i have to say that it must have 802.11g integrated, it must be somewhat compatible with linux (primarily the 802.11g) and it must have a widescreen display... i dont fancy going from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 :s

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i dont understand Venom? :s I am not selling anything, i am looking for advice on a laptop to buy, and for feedback on the Inspiron 6000

I think he means - how much more are you willing to spend for the extra widescreen capability? ...unless he's had one too many :p

nix said:
I am currently in the process of selling a few items (read: alot) so that i may be able to afford a laptop. I may or may not sell my desktop as part of this, but that decision will be made when other pending decisions are confirmed/denied.

What i want in a laptop is "basically" the following;
  • 15.4" Widescreen display
  • around 512MB Ram
  • CD/RW DVD-Rom
  • 802.11g connectivity
  • flexibility (as much linux compatibility as possible)
  • around 2/3hrs minimum battery life

Obviously i dont want to spend too much, preferably around £700. What i was looking at as a possibility was the Dell Inspiron 6000, i have been considering buying one for a while but never bothered to get any further than just considering. Does anyone either have this laptop or can provide some information on its compatibility with linux?

If you have any other suggestions on laptops too look into for around that price range then please let me know. But i have to say that it must have 802.11g integrated, it must be somewhat compatible with linux (primarily the 802.11g) and it must have a widescreen display... i dont fancy going from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 :s

Thanks in advance.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_6000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Pricing valid till 22/06 (or 06/22 if in the US :) )

The 6000 == widescreen and relatively cheap. Should support Linux as well though might be best to check with tech support about that.

Xie said:
You might wanna take a quick look @ linux-on-laptops and see if your distro is there and how much work it'll be. :)
Was just about to suggest that. :)
Also thought I'd mention...one of my cousins just got a 6000, and he seems to like it quite a bit.

Thanks guys, as for the l-o-l reference, the distro wont be listed there as it will be running a custom compiled version. So really a "universal compatibility" would be needed. Saying that however, i could create livecd's to get around some of those issues.

the 6000 looks great and is what im looking for its just all about how much I can get from my "junk" :p

sorry yah i have ment how much more for the widscreen but one too many last night was a issue lol. So in fact disregard everything i have said *runs*

Look up the HP Pavilion DV4000 series. AWESOME laptop, I absolutely love it. Has everything you need (I have mine with 100gb...friggin awesome), the remote control is too cool to not show off and it is Linux compatible. I'm using Ubuntu Hoary and using the new ipw2200 drivers, everything works great (the card reader doesn't, but only because I haven't gotten around to making it work...I don't need it under linux)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back