laptop ugrading possibilities?

H

Hematic

Hey everyone, this is my 1st post on this site!! Woo hoo welcome to the world of NTFS.org. Anyway, i am running a Dell inspiron 8100 laptop with 512 mb ram, a 1 gig processor and a GeForce2 GO in it. Is it actually possible to upgrade the interior graphics car of a laptop? Or is it even worth it. This pc has been my best buddy for a whil;e now, and i like the adaptability of a laptop to its environment. ie small size and carry weight. So if i dont have to get a desktop, that would be awesome. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.!

LAPTOPs = no slots, MB built in graphics. No way to upgrade.

Sorry.

Are you sure? I thought it was possible to upgrade the graphics. I can upgrade the sound card and the ram. Why not the graphics?

Ok well for a second i will just assume my internal laptop video card upgrading options are nil. This is gonna sound silly to you more experiences people probably but oh well. Any type of external graphics card designed for laptops? Or any other way to upgrade my video capability without purchasing a new machine?

When in doubt check the Dell web site. If there is an upgrade they can sell you they WILL have it listed. ;)

I'd check it for you but they have this login screen for support. I guess they don't want prospective customers finding out about their support...

PS the memory and processor are in sockets so they can be changed. The video chipset is soldered in.

Ok, I found some info on the Dell site.

Your laptop can come with 16 or 32 meg of video ram. You might be able to increase it to 32 if you're at 16 now but the basic video chipset stays the mobility 7500 (which isn't too bad). So if the problem is poor texture quality in games or not enough colors the video memory upgrade might help. If oyu want more frames per second you're SOL.

But, you'll have to get into their support site to see if the upgrade is possible and you'll probably have to buy the video memory from them and maybe have to ship the laptop back to them for the upgrade.

So i can upgrade my processor but not my card? Well poop. Now ive got the 32mb version of the GeForce2 GO. And pretty much it just flat out wont do much on games like BF1942 and Raven Shield. Oh sure it runs CS great..... Would it be worth upgrading the processor and keeping my old graphics card? Thanks for all this great info!

Hematic

There is no video card in a laptop, that's the problem. The video is part of the chipset on the motherboard.

Best you can do is play the games at reduced resolution and reduced detail.

Sorry man. I know how you feel. My first computer was a portable with built in everything and a too small power supply. I eventually found out I couldn't upgrade it and was I steamed! $2k and no upgrade path.

Wow! I never knew there was NO video card in a laptop. Ok well then i suppose thats out lol. But still would it be worth upgrading the processor?

Originally posted by Hematic
Wow! I never knew there was NO video card in a laptop. Ok well then i suppose thats out lol. But still would it be worth upgrading the processor?

You are better saving the money you would spend on the upgrade for a new laptop/pc. IF you send it back to Dell AND they are able to upgrade the processor (if, that is, I am not even sure they can/will), it is going to cost you al least 1/2 the price of a new laptop. just live with it for now, and save for a new laptop. There are actually some laptop vendors that allow you to upgrade in the future (dell is NOT one of them).

EJ :)

as a rule of thumb, I never recommend laptops as gaming machines...unless they are VERY high uality like the Alienware ones (they rock, but about $2.5k). Just build yourself a nice gaming machine...probably can do it for less than $800

I know Dell does make a docking station for some of there laptops, that accept standard cards in them i know they take pci cards not sure of agp you would have to check. But i know they are out there check it out maybe it will fill the void you have.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back