Laptop shells

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Where would be a good site to check out prices on empty laptop shells?
I would like to build one.

Thanks,

Heeter

There was an older post on building laptops. I think there were one or two places listed.

Problem is that every laptop is a proprietary custom design (especially the displays) so you really can't buy the parts and build your own. The places in the other post were kind of kits. Prices usually end up higher with a build your own.

What I've been toying with is the idea for a psuedo portable. Design it to be compact but use common off the shelf parts. The mini ATX cases are heading this way but nobody has really done it yet.

Something like the original Compaq or osborne machines with detachable keyboard and LCD. One guy posted in here about a breifcase PC he was building. It would be ideal for LAN parties, going away to school, etc. They make industrial computers liek what I'm talking about but those are 10-15k each.

Originally posted by LeeJend
What I've been toying with is the idea for a psuedo portable. Design it to be compact but use common off the shelf parts. The mini ATX cases are heading this way but nobody has really done it yet.

Something like the original Compaq or osborne machines with detachable keyboard and LCD. One guy posted in here about a breifcase PC he was building. It would be ideal for LAN parties, going away to school, etc. They make industrial computers liek what I'm talking about but those are 10-15k each.
There is a computer, mainly made for industry, that is pretty much a briefcase where one side detaches as keyboard with a TFT behind it. Don't remember where I saw it, but I'll take alook around.

[edit] Found it, it's swedish and the page is in swedish, but look at the picture and you'll get the... eh... picture. :) It's called Olle btw.
http://www.mapcom.se/devel/mapcom-slim-p4-cad.html

Originally posted by Zedric
There is a computer, mainly made for industry, that is pretty much a briefcase where one side detaches as keyboard with a TFT behind it. Don't remember where I saw it, but I'll take alook around.

[edit] Found it, it's swedish and the page is in swedish, but look at the picture and you'll get the... eh... picture. :) It's called Olle btw.
http://www.mapcom.se/devel/mapcom-slim-p4-cad.html
sweet, i had an idea like that a year or so ago when lcd's were starting to get popular. wouldn't be hard to mod a normal case like that. maybe even an matx one? hmm...

Yeah, exactly.

The only annoyance would be an attachment method for the keyboard and LCD so it closes up nicely. It'd be kinda snug in a mic-atx but a mini tower has possibilites, A cheap one (less metal and weight). Mount a carrying handle to the top.

Originally posted by LeeJend
The only annoyance would be an attachment method for the keyboard and LCD so it closes up nicely. It'd be kinda snug in a mic-atx but a mini tower has possibilites, A cheap one (less metal and weight). Mount a carrying handle to the top.
Maybe you could mount the keyboard on a board, or even the side panel if it's appropriate. Maybe cram in the mouse somewhere to. :) The LCD might be able to use it's own foot somehow mounted to the bottom of the case if you get an LCD with an appropriate foot.

Originally posted by Zedric
Maybe you could mount the keyboard on a board, or even the side panel if it's appropriate. Maybe cram in the mouse somewhere to. :) The LCD might be able to use it's own foot somehow mounted to the bottom of the case if you get an LCD with an appropriate foot.
i would just say mount the lcd to the side panel so that it's actually mounted behind it/inside the case. so the side is just about flush. just have to make sure you have the couple inches of clearence behind the panel. but then interference might be an issue.
:confused:

Does anybody know where I can purchase empty laptop shells?
I would like to build one myself.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
Does anybody know where I can purchase empty laptop shells?
I would like to build one myself.
LeeJend allready answered. Apart from that I guess the answer is no, since noone else have posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back