Laptop refresh rate keeps changing

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
I'm pretty sure I am over looking a setting, but every time my laptop is unplugged and then plugged back in my refresh rate is at 59hz instead of 60hz. I'm running Vista home premium with an intel 950 int graphics(945GM chipset). I have already updated my drivers and chipset software; are there any settings that would change this refresh rate within windows that I am not seeing? Or is it a driver thing? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Maybe there is just an error reporting the refresh rate, or an error in sampling said data?

Haven't run vista on my notebook yet, waiting till the corporate office upgrades.

Maybe there is just an error reporting the refresh rate, or an error in sampling said data?

Haven't run vista on my notebook yet, waiting till the corporate office upgrades.

It reports it in both the OS and the intel control panel so I am assuming its correct

Could just be bad drivers... thats a reoccurring theme with Vista. :)

Shades of yore...

There were similar problems with XP not holding pre-set video settings. I can't remember if it was the drivers, XP or a combination. Damn thing burned up a CRT monitor I had by deciding to set it 10 Hz faster than it was rated for. About 4-5 years ago.

On the other hand 59 vs 60 hz sounds more like a reading accuracy error than a driver issue. But, places to check:

-I'm usre you did this already, but. Make sure the Vista equivalent of settings-advanced-monitor and the Intel drivers are set for the same value.

-Make sure neither is set to autodetect the monitor refresh rate.

-One other slim possibility. Does it only do it when going from plugged to battery or does it happen if you shutdown while on batteyr and then come back up on battery. If it is only happening when going from plug to battery it could be a hardware bug when the power transient occurs.

Shades of yore...

There were similar problems with XP not holding pre-set video settings. I can't remember if it was the drivers, XP or a combination. Damn thing burned up a CRT monitor I had by deciding to set it 10 Hz faster than it was rated for. About 4-5 years ago.

On the other hand 59 vs 60 hz sounds more like a reading accuracy error than a driver issue. But, places to check:

-I'm usre you did this already, but. Make sure the Vista equivalent of settings-advanced-monitor and the Intel drivers are set for the same value.

-Make sure neither is set to autodetect the monitor refresh rate.

-One other slim possibility. Does it only do it when going from plugged to battery or does it happen if you shutdown while on batteyr and then come back up on battery. If it is only happening when going from plug to battery it could be a hardware bug when the power transient occurs.

I just tried all those with no luck, but then I installed the newest beta driver from Intel, and after that I opened both Vista's display properties and Intel's and made sure to set them both at 60hz. Tested it and BAM working now *phew*. Thanks for the help :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back