laptop problem

FishBoy

Feeeesh
hey guys i have a friend's laptop here with me and i was trying to connect it to my computer and it told me i had to restart so i restart and then i get that screen where it asks me to boot windows, safe mode.... so when i select any of those nothing boots up i starts loading and hten restart for every option what do you guys think happened, when i select start windows i ge the screen with that blue bar loading windows and then a slip sec. of bsod and then restart

his laptop is hp pavillion not too old like recently bought
xp home edition

edit:
ps: and when i try to load knoppix 3.7 it freezes while booting, it gets to the stage where it's "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0"

Well i have an HP Pavilion Desktop and boy does it suck i would say that is one major problem on its own....part of the reason why i am building my own PC..... but the next problem may be windows related. U know those damn WINDOWS...... we all feel the same way **** WINDOWS!

Hope it helps Fish Boy

well it's known that hp isn't good and compaq too since they merged

ok well no w i tried using hiren's boot cd to change parition sizes on the disk so i could install xp pro on the new partition anyway when i opened partition magic i got an error and the partition name for the disk is "???????????e?????????e???????" how can i check inside the disk to back up his documents and stuff
it also told me "CRC error in data" when i told it check for errors

You could always use the Mac method, throw it away and get a new one :D

Check in the bios for any options that might be giving your problems. Some of them have antivirus loaded into the computer. Try disabling stuff like that.

well i got knoppix 3.3 to load so i created a shread folder on my machine and im backing up his songs and stuff to it and then im gonna reinstall windows pro
but i do blame hp for although his disk is a hitachi one i dont see why was it doing that

FishBoy said:
well i got knoppix 3.3 to load so i created a shread folder on my machine and im backing up his songs and stuff to it and then im gonna reinstall windows pro

Fine, do it the easy way :p

FishBoy said:
but i do blame hp for although his disk is a hitachi one i dont see why was it doing that

1) HP sucks
2) HP sucks
3) The computer is possessed and was trying to make you go insane
4) Partition Magic may be to blame if it was used before the computer went loony
5) HP sucks

(sorry just had to do that.) But seriously if you tried to resize the partition(s) on the drive right before the computer went bonkers then something may have gotten mixed up between the partitions or accidentally deleted somehow and caused windows to freak out.

no no after the computer went nuts i tried resizing the partition using partition magic on hiren's boot CD but that didn't work so what i ended up doing was backup his files to my computer using knoppix and now im running a mc affee scan from hiren's boot cd and then im gonna reinstall windows if the scan didn't help

i never said that i messed up i said it was either windows or hardware, coz if you had read tehe first post it says that i didn't do anything but restart the computer and then it just decided not to boot up anymore

Hey fish, I had the same issue last week with a Toshiba Satellite (and a pretty sweet one I might add)

I noticed Partition Magic failed for you. It failed for us too, so we used a full bootable ISO of PM 8. Bam. we made a logical partition, and installed xpsp2. Grabbed ownership of all the files we wanted to keep, and moved them over to the logical partition. We then moved the data off via USB stick (easier than pulling the old router out of storage).

Rebooted with XP CD, deleted both partitions, and set up two new ones. Installed a fresh XP SP2 on it, and then shoved the data back on. All we lost is the applications in the end, which I reinstalled for him.

Don't think it'll help you today, but it's a working method.

(Knoppix wouldn't let me rename 'documents and settings' , 'program files', and 'windows') --- so I used the above method instead.

FishBoy said:
i never said that i messed up i said it was either windows or hardware, coz if you had read tehe first post it says that i didn't do anything but restart the computer and then it just decided not to boot up anymore

Not cool man just not cool !!!!!!!!!

ps: You need to laugh some , and make less obviously post count boosting comments lol

It might be the hard drive itself than Fish. Cuz the hard drive on my hp laptop recently took a tank with a kernal fault that caused windows to fail to boot and have to reboot(and messed up the titles on a bunch of my mp3's though Windows Media Player still lists the titles right). The laptop had been acting funky for a while before the hard drive had the kernal fault and getting progressively worse. But after I replaced the drive, it works perfectly fine (well as perfectly fine as a two year old lappy can be expected)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back