laptop memory upgrade

monmusion

OSNN Addict
Do you guys think its worth upgrading the memory on a laptop running windows xp home from 256 to 512? I have integrated graphics which eat up memory, and a 2.0gig celeron processor. The computer is running fine, but for 40 bucks i can get another 256 chip. Is it worth it?

Originally posted by monmusion
Do you guys think its worth upgrading the memory on a laptop running windows xp home from 256 to 512? I have integrated graphics which eat up memory, and a 2.0gig celeron processor. The computer is running fine, but for 40 bucks i can get another 256 chip. Is it worth it?

Yes, definitely, no question about it. I have a p4 2.0 gig with 512mb ram, and it runs nice and smooth, even with larger graphics in corel draw.

Another quick question. I can get the ram from dell for 44 bucks, and I already have dell ram in there, but I can also get it from crucial and support the board for 41 bucks. Do you guys think I would have any trouble mixing the 2 types of ram?

i dont think there will be any problems, but its always better to stick to 1 brand of ram, cause there is a possibilty of incompatiblity, but i never experienced it.

And if it did bug a little most times just switching the sticks around can fix it most times .... I prefere all one type but have on many set'ups mixed and matched not only name brands but even on the odd setup different speeds , so dont worry to much about the name brand just make sure you order for your specific rig ;)

It's only $3. Go with Dell because it is guaranteed compatable AND it does not mess with your warranty.

the extra memory will help a LOT... because laptop harddrives are the slowest around so the less your laptop has to use the virtual memory, the better.

Hey guys, i was checking out my specs and I realized that i have 2 128 meg chips, and only one is accessible. So I would only be going from 256 total, to 384, and I would have an extra chip not being used. Sorry that i didnt realize this earlier. You still think its worth it?

friend has the same deal. you have a sony, by chance?

if you can sell your leftover 128mb, then it might be worth it. dunno, it's really up to you. if you got 40 bucks to spend, got for it, i guess.

No, its a dell. I wasnt thinking when i bought it, and my options were 256 in one chip which was an extra 50 bucks so I decided to get 2 128 chips and save myself 50 bucks. I guess Ill just wait until prices drop. The performance isnt bad, I just thought for 40 bucks i couldnt go wrong. but oh well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back