Laptop is slow!

they dont have "new" since they are a repair centre and cant give me a different model, tried to get the travelmate 8200 hehe

Did you buy your laptop from a repair center directly? That may not have been a good choice ? :eek:

Sorry for the bump, but I have to ask, how did it work out? Did it at all? Acer seemed so appealing to me before I read this thread and saw that you and Punkychan had the same problem.

I'm asking because I'll be moving overseas in a few months - to a very remote area, and in addition, I'll be spending most of my time on a seagoing vessel that'll be out to sea for months, and I need a reliable desktop replacement capable of running Adobe Premiere and CS2 quickly. I'll be gone for a while so I'll also want to play a few games every so often. My budget is anything under 2,500 USD.

I was thinking about the Travelmate 8200. 2.0GHz, 15.4, 2GB DDR2 533, a 120GB drive as well as a DVD burner sounds very nice. The ATI X1600 doesn't seem terrible either, although from experience I'd prefer nVidia.

Thoughts or ideas anyone? Maybe this deserves a new thread, hm. Anyway, Thanks!

You're going to an undeveloped area of a foreign country, traveling extensively, and will be in a salt environment for months at a time?

Don't expect any commercial laptop to survive that. Especially don't expect a high performance (i.e. runs too hot) laptop to survive. Dust and salt will eat a laptop alive.

I have a friend who did a stint on a carrier off Iraq. I'll see what brand laptop he had. I think it lasted the whole year. It was not a high performance model though and a carrier is very benign for a sea environment.

Update:
It was an older HP (about 5 years ago) and lasted for 11 months, before it got stolen.

So if you are going to be on a smaller vessel, or a commercial vessel get some big plastic ziplock baggies to store the laptop in and some bags of dessicant. Always keep the bag closed (even when the laptop is not inside to preserve the dessicant) and put fresh dessicant in periodically. And start thinking about how to secure it so it does not get stolen.

well they will look at it when i get back, i will just settle for a replacement this time if they offer it, yeah its refurbished but hopefully will end my problems!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back