laptop help

as I expected... my work just got some i-buddie laptops recently... 1.3ghz celerons, 256mb ram, 20gb hdd, dvdrom... all looked sweet until we found there was no floppy drive (not so much a problem), but no battery???!!!

from website you linked krux
Battery
This product differs from a notebook in that it does not include an integrated battery. An optional external battery is available

also, remembering back... the ventilation fan is on the base of the laptop - meaning you need to put the laptop always on a solid surface otherwise the hot air cant leave the unit - causing problems :/

also (another edit lol)... there are no PCMCIA slots :(

actually, i kind of like the lack of a battery thing. it's definitely geared more toward people that don't need to actually work or play while in a car or cafe. i have a laptop and it's only ever on here or at a friend's house when we lan. i pretty much never run off the battery.

and the battery is heavy and expensive. so excluding it is smart... if you don't need it, of course. :)

true... lack of pcmcia slots caused us a problem though... had to return the 3com xjack wireless lan cards we ordered at the same time :( nice bits of kit they were too...

one bonus is that it took normal 168pin PC133 memory - none of that SODIMM stuff :)

this is good I like the feed back, its mostly so I can sit with my women while she does whatever and I don't go crazy with boredom.

so no battery, it comes with a wall plug right?

no floppy, I can still boot from a cd to install windows tho right?

the page says it has intergrated lan and usb what would I use the pcim slots for? 56k? wireless? what?

krux: thats correct :)

you can get a fair distance from the power socket cuz the cables are pretty long - you get 2 power cables... one from the laptop which has the transformer on and another one (standard kettle type lead - used on desktop pcs etc) which plugs into the transformer and plugs into the wall... and you can get extensions for them easily enough, so I spose it aint too bad :)

you can boot from the cdrom yeah... thats how we got XP Pro on them :)

i gotta admit though... although the lack of battery and pcmcia slots caused a bit of a problem for us at first... they're pretty solid laptops - i never got to use them much, but they installed with no problems what so ever... which is always a good sign.

you can use pcmcia slots for allsorts of things...

bluetooth adapters,
wireless lan adapters,
standard 10/100 nic adapters (altho one is on the laptop already),
56k modems (altho one is on the laptop already),
compact flash card readers,

etc etc etc :)

what do you think I would need the pcim slots for? they important? I know they hold things like modems and junk.

nah, they aint really important for the normal user... it was a problem at work cuz we bought the PCMCIA wireless lan cards specially for the laptops only to find they obviously wouldnt fit :(

anyways... off to bed - will check back tomorrow to see if i can help anymore :)

btw... nice sig :)

Originally posted by Krux
the page says it has intergrated lan and usb what would I use the pcim slots for? 56k? wireless? what?
looks like they all come with internal 56k modems. but no pcmcia slots isn't a big deal. anything that uses those can be found that uses usb 2.0 instead. that includes wireless adapters, external hd's, burners, etc.

Originally posted by jonifen
nah, they aint really important for the normal user... it was a problem at work cuz we bought the PCMCIA wireless lan cards specially for the laptops only to find they obviously wouldnt fit :(

anyways... off to bed - will check back tomorrow to see if i can help anymore :)

btw... nice sig :)

Thanks man first good comment Ive gotten on my sig :)

ok I bought it 970 bucks 1800+ 512 DDR 2100 8xDVD-ROM 20 gig HDD

not a bad deal, man.

just don't expect to play 3d games on it. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back