Laptop Help Neeeded

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
My friend spilled some water on my laptop when I got up from the table

I have no idea how much water went in there, but not much for sure

anyway, when I dired it down, hair drier, etc, went to start it, it couldn't find windows, asked for boot disc

then I dried it more, restarted, and I got an "exception" error I never saw before

then it went into some kind of matrix thingy up and down data

so

am I screwed?

anyone ever come out of something like this?

Hair dryer, bad move. Next time disassemble and hand dry all you can. Shake it out whatever works.

Evaporative drying leaves mineral salts all over the board, puts steam into all the internal spaces (inside HD, CDROM, underneath ICs, etc.). Hair dryers are so hot they will cause excessive differential expansion that can crack IC's, break solder joints, even crack the LCD.

Whatever you do, do not run it in the condition it is in.

It may come back by itself when all the steam from the forced air drying evaporates.

Options:
Remove the battery before heating it up!!!!
1). Put it in the oven at about 100 degrees, no hotter and let it sit for about an hour to drive out all moisture. Let it cool down for 30 minutes and try it again.

2). If that does not work next step is to disassemble and clean it with isopropyl alcohol to remove any mineral deposits. Flush then dry thoroughly shaking off the excess and dabbing with a cotton cloth (old tshirts).

I have saved water soaked electronics using hand drying and then an elevated temperature bake out.

My sisters computer was in a flood and I just let it dry out for a couple of days and all was fine. Since you tried starting it when it was still wet I'll bet that its junk now.

thanx all

got it going as if othing ever happened this morning

I hope it lasts now...been in the market for something new anyway, but if I have to buy one for myself, I won't be able to givce this one to my dad if it's not working

thanx again

i find the best thing to do is leave it by a hot radioator for a few days, it dries out fine then, glad to see it's working now :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back