Laptop Freezing

B

bmorrissey51

Ok, I asked a question earlier today about my PC having an error, but this problem is on my laptop. It constantly freezes. When I am downloading something (for example, Windows Updates), it freezes. I installed Norton Anti-Virus today, to see if there was a virus, and in the middle of checking, it froze. It is so frusterating.

I recently formatted too, as recent as a week and a half ago. Prior to format, it would freeze, but not nearly as much as now. I am thinking this is a major problem that another format wont fix. I have hardware warrenty still, so I dont know what to do. The thing is that I need my laptop for school, so I can't very well send it away right now.

Is there anything you guys reccomend me doing?

well i use a laptop for school too, but anyways i would check the drivers and the event log to see if that is anything, also, i noticed that if i leave my laptop running for a log time and it gets hot it will freez. and yea, if worse comes to worse then it would be a good idea to send it in for them to look at it, other than that i dont know, too bad this didnt happen on march break that is when i take mine in for servicing

Divx roused an idea.

Laptops cool through their bottoms. Try leaving it on a metal table or propping it up on some pencils so air can get underneath. Don't let it sit on a couch or bed. The fabric and padding will act like an insulator. If it's a heat problem that may help.

PS If its a high speed laptop remember, laptop is a style, not a description. There are some amusing posts around about a guy who fried his pecker with his laptop and then sued the manufacturer. They also recommend you not leave the laptop on a good quality wood table either, it can damage the finish. Wish still I had the pecker link around...

And get it in for repair while you still have the warantee. Anything running XP and doing something other than gaming should not lock up.

Its not the heating, I actually had to get that fixed once, but this freezing happens when it is totally cooled off as well. I do have build in legs for my laptop that work to circulate air better.

I also put some more RAM in my laptop not long ago, but it seems the freezing started to happen well after that was installed, so I don't know. Maybe I should take that out for a while and see what happens.

What type of laptop are you using?
Operating system? Ram?
I had a compaq presario that would never work right no matter how many driver or compaq service updates were installed
I now have a Tosh Satellite 5100 which is rock solid no matter what you throw at it.

your cpu is over heating its blatantly obvious. the fan and heatsink could be clogged with dust. which even if you left a ventilation gap would not help. either open it up your self and clean it or take it to an authorised dealer who will clean it up. without voiding your warranty.:)

Well I dont think it is overheating because like I said, it does this when totally cooled off.

I am using a Compaq Presario 725CA, Windows XP Pro, 1.29Ghz, I am not sure of the RAM type exactly, but whatever I bought, I made sure it works with this laptop. I did buy the right kind, however, I guess its possible that it isn't working properly.

I can't remember when I started having the problems, but it was sometime after the RAM was installed, and it has gotten much worse since I formatted.

can you take the new stick of ram out and see if the problem stops ?

Yeah, I am gonna do that tonight, as I am at school right now. I haven't noticed a huge difference in performace anyways, so whatever. I might be able to send it back still.

Originally posted by bmorrissey51
Ok, I asked a question earlier today about my PC having an error, but this problem is on my laptop. It constantly freezes. When I am downloading something (for example, Windows Updates), it freezes. I installed Norton Anti-Virus today, to see if there was a virus, and in the middle of checking, it froze. It is so frusterating.

I recently formatted too, as recent as a week and a half ago. Prior to format, it would freeze, but not nearly as much as now. I am thinking this is a major problem that another format wont fix. I have hardware warrenty still, so I dont know what to do. The thing is that I need my laptop for school, so I can't very well send it away right now.

Is there anything you guys reccomend me doing?

it says right when you install norton if u are installing it because you suspect there is a virus DO NOT INSTALL NORTON your sposed to run the cd from dos and do it there because a virus will just infect norton and it won't work right from the get go.

Originally posted by jdn
What type of laptop are you using?
Operating system? Ram?
I had a compaq presario that would never work right no matter how many driver or compaq service updates were installed
I now have a Tosh Satellite 5100 which is rock solid no matter what you throw at it.

what about a rock? :p

I closed my laptop the other night and it turned off, I guess because it go to hot. also the way my laptop is built It pulls air dirctly from outside and that lets me use a can of compressed air to blow the HSF clean of all dust.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back